New to DG's web site

Dublin, TX(Zone 8a)

I am a new DG member and I am enjoying every bit of information so far. I feel like a "sponge" soaking it all in! I wanted to share a couple of my cannas with everyone. I have several to trade if anyone is interested. I am always watching for the latest hybrid to come out - - - send me an email if you would like to trade cannas!
Happy Gardening,
Belinda

Thumbnail by TexasGardenMom
Lakeland, FL(Zone 9b)

wellcome to the site paul

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

Welcome!!

Louisville, KY

Good to have you on board!

Coal Center, PA(Zone 6a)

Welcome to Dave's Garden canna forum :-)
Alice

New Iberia, LA(Zone 9a)

Hello Belinda! Welcome to Dave's. I just started this year, and now spend every waking hour learning about and growing my plants. I love it..........my husband (and bank account) have a few choice words every now and then. Just a word of caution, if you don't already know, it's addicting! Have fun.........ashley

Cordele, GA(Zone 8a)

Welcome! I'm new to DG as well ( two weeks). I have learned so much about growing cannas and other bloomers on DG. And my plants are thanking me for it. The most help I've gotten has come from these forums. Hers real life gardening experiences and tips has helped me improve and save many of my cannas. Mine aren't as healthy looking as yours in your picture. I'd love to hear from folks on the type of fertilizers that work best on cannas.

Again, Welcome

Deborah

San Antonio, TX(Zone 9a)

Welcome Deb looking forward to knowing and trading with you.
Rita

Dublin, TX(Zone 8a)

Thanks to ALL of you for the wonderful, kind welcome. I have now spent SO many hours reading and learning that I had to break out the reading glasses! lol I am looking forward to learning and trading with all of you!
Happy Gardening,
Belnda

Texas/Okla central b, United States(Zone 7b)

Your canna look beautiful and healthy and mixed in with my favorite ..the single white datura
Do you know the name of that beautiful yellow? I don't have enough yet of my fancies for trades, but I have tons of the wonderful old favorites King Red Humbert and Red Dazzler.....I dont know why canna do so well here...very little insect damage, and grow like crazy. When planting, I do try to incorporate some wet peat into this sorry beach sand that passes for soil here.
Doesn't it just make you sick that it is too blazing hot to play in the gardens. I work the plants from 8 to 10 in the mornings and the rest of the day I think about all the work (and pleasure) I didn't get to today. Maybe, just maybe, it will be below 95 before dark and I can go out and feed the mosquitos one little bit more...

Thumbnail by jackieshar
New Iberia, LA(Zone 9a)

i'm no expert, but i've always thought it was a cleopatra. i have many for trade if anyone's interested.

Dublin, TX(Zone 8a)

Yes indeed a Cleopatra it is. I don't have enough of her just yet to trade, but I do have several others I would gladly trade you, jackieshar. I'll inclue a picture for you to see, just let me know if you would like to trade. Not being able to play outside in the garden is really getting to me.........I don't know how anyone stays inside all the time. It would drive me stir crazy! Today is suppose to be a mild 105. My plants are getting extra TLC to help them get through this ridiculous Texas heat!
Happy Gardening,
Belinda

Pic to follow - - - I will go out and snap a new one for you!

Dublin, TX(Zone 8a)

Here is the peach canna I was talking about - - - I have several to trade if anyone is interested!
Happy Gardening,
Belinda

Belinda, you call 105 mild? Whew! That's steaming up here. And that is close to our temp today too.

Dublin, TX(Zone 8a)

Unfortunately this time of the year..................105 is mild. We typically average around 110+. I really dislike HOT weather and I know that I live in the wrong part of the world, however I would be lost anywhere but here!

Living in the wrong part of the world is something I totally understand. I would love to live in Montana, Wyoming, Washington, or Kentucky. But i would be lost there without my HUGE family living in the same area. Oh well, good vacation spots if I ever take another one.

Dublin, TX(Zone 8a)

I completely understand, pepper. Vacations are a bit hard for me because I can't ever find anyone who is willing to care for my gardens like I do! lol I too would love to live in the mountains, anywhere. I really do like the Smokey Mountains in Tennessee - - - their fall foilage is absolutely gorgeous!

Cordele, GA(Zone 8a)

TexasGardenMom, I'll be glad to trade cannas with you when mine are ready. This is my first year growing them.
I got some from an old home place. The orginal plantings were started in the1940's and have flourished ever since. I haven't killed any of mine yet. There're blooming yellow with little red in the throats. I've got some orange-red ones from that same house, but I don't think they are from as old a lineage as the yellow ones. I purchased some red "The Presidents" and some low growing types but they're not up yet.

I know what you mean about enjoying the Smokey Mts. My mom just decided to pack up and move to Gatlingburg about 4 years ago just to get out of the GA. heat. I miss her, but I look forward to going on vacations to see her. The spring time is also a great time to visit and see the huge variety of wildflowers that grow in the park. They're unbelievable!

Deborah

Forgot about the Smokeys!! Gotta go there too...one of these days.

Dublin, TX(Zone 8a)

Deborah, just let me know when your cannas are ready - - - I would love to trade with you. Mine have all taken off and bloom more and more every day. I really enjoy them and anything that can survive this heat is a KEEPER! I really admire your mom for just up and moving. I hope that once my kids are grown and gone, I could do the same thing. I could easily live the cabin lifestyle ~ so calm and laid back. It is going to take some work talking my hubby into leaving Texas, that is for sure. He actually likes the heat!
Belinda

Lakeland, FL(Zone 9b)

hi are those peach cannas tall? paul

Dublin, TX(Zone 8a)

Paul, yes they do grow to be very tall in some areas of my garden. I have a few right now that are over 7 feet tall. Would you be interested in trading? I have both seeds and rhizomes to share right now, so just let me know!
Happy Gardening,
Belinda

Lakeland, FL(Zone 9b)

id like to tradesome seeds Belinda let me know what you are looking for i have many diff seeds paul

Dublin, TX(Zone 8a)

Paul, the great thing about being a new gardener is that I would like to try any of your canna seeds that you send me. I have seen your pictures and they all are beautiful and so healthly. You just send anything that you would like - - - if you have anything that blooms red, that would be nice. I don't have any cannas with red blooms yet. Also, do you mind giving me a few tips on how to start cannas from seed? I harvest them quite often and send out, but I have NEVER attempted to grow them from seed. Any help you can offer would be greatly appreciated. I will go out and gather your seed this afternoon and get them sent out first thing in the morning if that is ok. Looking forward to trying something new!
Happy Gardening,
Belinda

Baton Rouge area, LA(Zone 8b)

I`m new here too and so far I like it a lot here. This is my second year with cannas. I love the pictures and this site has become a place I visit as often as my own garden. :)

Dublin, TX(Zone 8a)

Gardener, welcome! I have really learned a lot from these experienced gardeners. When it heats up and is too hot to be in my gardens, I am on here learning everything that I can. Glad to have you onboard with us! Send us some pictures of your 2-yr old cannas!
Belinda

Lakeland, FL(Zone 9b)

Belinda can you take a nother pic of the peach cannas? id like to see the leafs to if you can paul

Dublin, TX(Zone 8a)

Paul, here is a picture of my peach cannas. They are approximately 6-7 feet tall right now and still growing!
Enjoy,
Belinda

Lakeland, FL(Zone 9b)

Belinda i need your maill addy so i can send you the seeds paul

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.