Pretty mullein

The Woodlands, TX(Zone 8b)

I'm not sure what Verbascum this is, don't think it's common mullein.

Thumbnail by fly_girl

Oops, tried it again

Thumbnail by fly_girl
Panama, NY(Zone 5a)

It's not a mullien, it's evening primrose, Oenothera acaulis. They are beautiful, but deadhead them, or they will take over.

Kathleen, I think you're right, maybe O. biennis? It's not invasive at all, I've had Mexican Primrose and it took over until I pulled it all out.
Thanks!

Peoria, IL

Its not invasive but it is aggressive.

Bureau County, IL(Zone 5a)

Verbascum is indigenous to Europe, not North America. It has naturalized, but it will never be indigenous to this continent.

Las Cruces, NM

FWIW, acaulis means "stemless". So unless someone goofed on the naming, you're never going to see anything with acaulis in the name with a leafy above-ground stem... and indeed Oenothera acaulis has only basal leaves.

Patrick Alexander

WE all goof don't we? My goofs: it's not a Verbascum, and it's not indigenous, I didn't see a wildflower forum.

Panama, NY(Zone 5a)

Well, actually O. biennis IS indigenous, so you're safe! Which brings up the much hashed over question about where we should put unknowns that are wild and whether or not we should be taken to task if we don't know whether or not it is indigenous - and there was a very long discussion about this awhile ago when the name of the forum was changed from Wild plants to Indigenous Plants, with no satisfactory conclusion other than the name change stayed, whether or not!

Bureau County, IL(Zone 5a)

Oh gosh! I'm sorry, did I come off harsh?? I didn't mean to. I don't know about a name change, I've only known indigenous. I'm really sorry fly girl, if you thought I was taking you to task. I wasn't. I will remember though, thanks to Kathleen, that there was a name change, so not every pic will be indigenous. Again, I really am sorry :-)

No problem terryr:)

Native = Indigenous
The words are pleonastic.

They are one and the same and are interchangeable. Probably easier to state the terms are biologically synonymous or tautological. Both could easily be defined as a plant species that evolved naturally within a particular ecosystem or better yet defined as- the indigenous plant species of a particular area, both aquatic and terrestrial, that are natural members of the local ecosystem. It's just that some people appear to find the term indigenous less offensive.

When you don't know what a plant is, you could always post it over in the Identification forum but lots of people, myself included... stick requests for identification right in other forums so it's no biggie to me.

The Oenothera biennis is native to Texas where you live but as mentioned by Joe, it's a tad bit aggressive. I don't know of any documentation out there of it being invasive though. I suppose you could put aggressive plants over in Garden Foes but I personally don't see anything wrong with this thread being right here where it is. It's an opportunity to discuss a plant with which others might not have any familiarity. I've got a few Oenothera myself. They appeared where I planted a few annual Salvia.

Thumbnail by Equilibrium
Archer/Bronson, FL(Zone 8b)

While I am still trying to get on my own thread to post a request for id, I had to once again stop in and read and comment.

Those of us who are newcomers to the native plant society, we appreciate yalls indulgence in our naivete'. I know I certainly do.

When I find a new plant on my property here, I assume it is native, only because it is growing out here where I assume few men (or women) have gone before, so this is the forum I post at. Most of the words of wisdom come from people who like hanging out here and have the answers sitting on the tips of their tongues waiting to tell us.

The only inhabitants on my property prior to me, were the birds, bees and wild mammals, etc. With an occasional exception of the former youngun, party boy who camped out with his "friends on the back acre. It's highly unlikely that HE planted anything other than wild seeds and an occasional hemp, none of which linger here.

If it wasn't so hot, I would be outside instead of rabble rousing here.

We do appreciate yall, Eqi, Terry, VV every one of you and of course Floridian.

Molly
:^))))

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.