New hatchings July 10, 2006

Falls Mills, VA

Eggs starting to open over the past weekend.

Thumbnail by Virginian
Falls Mills, VA

Big picture of the incubator.

Thumbnail by Virginian
Falls Mills, VA

The same day the eggs in the incubator started to open I also had three hens hatch several eggs. Here is one of the hens.

Thumbnail by Virginian
Falls Mills, VA

Here is one of the other hens and three of her brood.

Thumbnail by Virginian
Smithville, Canada

Sooo cute. What 'kinds' are the eggs? And how many? Looks like the hens hatched mixed chicks.

Shenandoah Valley, VA(Zone 6b)

Man, I never get tired of seeing a hen w/ new chicks. Lovely!

Falls Mills, VA

Halnik:
We have mostly Rhode Island Red hens, and one RIR rooster. We also have a Columbian Wyandotte rooster, one of these two roosters has to be the 'daddy' of these chicks. We also have a few Barred Rocks and few Plymouth Rock hens. The day the hens started sitting I put about a dozen eggs under each hen. Many of these eggs came from the other chickens. I also put four dozen eggs in the incubator. That way they will all hatch about the same time. The chicks that were hatched in the incubator were put under the hens that had been sitting. They adopt these chicks without hesitation. So that is why you see different colored chicks in the pics. It seems the chicks do a lot better under the hens rather than in the incubator.

Right now I have four hens that have little ones. One hen has four chicks, one has nine chicks, and the other two have about 12 each. Seems there are little ones running everywhere, you have to be careful where you step to make sure you are not going to mash one!

V

Smithville, Canada

The black one with a white face looks like it will be an interesting looking one. I'm looking forward to seeing what I get from my chickens.

Falls Mills, VA

Halnik:
That pic is playing a trick on your eyes. There are actually three chicks in the photo. The black one has his back turned towards the camera. There is a white chick standing behind the black one, peeking over the black ones shoulder.

The black one is solid black....for now. They change colors as they get their adult feathers.

Eatonton, GA(Zone 8b)

Dont cha just love it!!! Virginian , looks like you have got everything under control! Good Job!!!

Smithville, Canada

Now that you point that out, it's perfectly clear. Oh, well. It would of been interesting.

Shenandoah Valley, VA(Zone 6b)

Fooled me too.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.