Choosing "One" Gingko

Holland, OH(Zone 5b)

I am appealing to the many knowledgable and experienced tree people on this forum. Please help me choose one Gingko for a 20 x 20 planting area in a north facing front yard. This is an entirely new bed, just laid out the perimiter with the hose and will dig the sod off this weekend. The soil is mildly acid (6.5) and sandy. The bed will be raised about 18" with compost. It gets sun from 10:00 am to 7:00pm (in June). There is a height/spread restriction due to overhead utility wires about 15 ft north of the bed, so Autumn Gold is out. The local electric utility just came through and "pruned". Luckily I dont have anything in the way and I want to keep it that way. I cant make up my mind between jade butterflies, tubiformis or pendula or "Ross Moore" or some other exciting variety. Autmn Gold is the only locally sold variety so I will be either traveling or ordering mail order. We are in kind of a "backwoods" plant selection area around here. I actually overheard one nurseryman talking to another at a local nursery say that he wished they had never invented the internet. "Now people want all kinds of #*&@ !" Well I am one of those people. What say you on one small Gingko? Oh, and while you are at it, how about companion plants?

Niles, MI(Zone 5a)

-Ginkgo collector here! When I was a kid I only knew of one type and now new ones pop up every day.

*Tubiformis is quite a sight. Stays quite dense and dwarf and the cup-like leaves are very interesting. The ones I've seen are almost more of a bush than a tree though.

*Jade Butterflies is also a good option. Interesting leaf arrangement. Seems to form a very nice shape when mature.

* Ross Moore is still a mystery as to ultimate height and shape. Mine is the fastest growing Ginkgo I've ever seen. Bought it 2 years ago via internet and it was a 16" stick. It's now past 6 feet! I have to admit it's my favorite as the leaves are always large and perfect and it's a true weeper vs Pendula. I've had to keep mine staked for height.

*Another odd one to consider is Tschi-Tschi which is a medium-sized tree which will develop breast-like growths on the trunk. Has a much rounder leaf.

*There are some narrow slender silhoutte varieties too.

I could go on and on. I say go for the unusual!

Lombard, IL(Zone 5b)

Dybbuk, do you have any pics of those growths on the Tschi-Tschi? Sounds like my kind of tree.

Bill

Holland, OH(Zone 5b)

Hey now, guuuys. If I get one of these Tschi-Tschi can I use that peculiar plant trait to justify the expense to DH?

Illinois, IL(Zone 5b)

In contrast, if I had my druthers I would opt for one grown from a seed collected at one of the original temple sites in China. Freaks don't do much for me, but pedigree (provenance) does. Most of what we grow here are natural, "normal" plants of known provenance, preferably wild-collected.

By the way, they all will develop those growths if you give them enough time. On ancient trees (~1000 years) they can be enormous! I'm not sure if anyone knows their purpose.

Guy S.

Niles, MI(Zone 5a)

There's also a new form called "Ding-A-Ling". It gets 3-4" sausage growths on the trunk unlike "Tschi-Tschi". I chose not to plant the 2 close to each other to avoid them flirting with each other.

Lombard, IL(Zone 5b)

Guy, if you haven't figured out their purpose yet, I feel sorry for ya.

Bill

Niles, MI(Zone 5a)

Mine hasn't gone through 'puberty' so no developments yet. Here's some information about them.

'CHI CHI' The round bumps on the trunk remind you of female breasts or 'Chi Chi' where the name comes from. They form as the tree matures usually at around 10 years of age. The bumps are really dormant buds ready in case they are needed This selection is very rare and makes a fantastic choice for the landscape.

Holland, OH(Zone 5b)

Ok Ok, I have been to China. I spent three hours on the state owned runway trying to get out of the country with just what I brought in, let alone with a seed of anything. They kind of frown on that. Any way, space is a consideration here, so some form of dwarfing is required. I don't have the luxury of purist collecting, although I greatly admire those who do. Much would be lost without those who preserve. But for those of us with small to mid size suburban lots we must make concessions. I wish I had more info on Akebono, Bullwinkle, and Hiyanari.

Niles, MI(Zone 5a)

I have Bullwinkle too and Canopy. I believe they will be dwarves also. Very nice shape.

Holland, OH(Zone 5b)

Arrrrg, How do I decide! dybbuk, Which has the best fall color, Bullwinkle or Canopy? Which is more vigorous in growth rate? Which would look best with dwarf conifers as companion plants? Does either need staking for height?

Niles, MI(Zone 5a)

How big of a tree do you want to start with? I don't know of any place you can get them that are bigger than a foot. If you're willing to watch the growth from a juvenile to mature then you have many choices. They all seem to have similar fall color. None seem to stand out above the next. Here's a pic of my Ross Moore. I think next year it will actually look like a tree.

Have you considered 'Saratoga'? It has fishtail like leaves. Very dense and full. Doesn't get that big. If you're looking for pendulous, I'd go with 'Ross Moore'.

Thumbnail by dybbuk
Holland, OH(Zone 5b)

Nice! Thanks for sharing that picture dybbuk. Contrary to pupular wisdom size doesn't matter. It is the characteristics of the tree I am concerned about. I have room for one, and one only, and there will be no more trees of any kind on this lot, barring storms, diseases or pests. I would choose the largest size of what I like for form of course. I figure I would be driving quite a distance from here if I want anything large. It is not problem if I can just locate one. If mail order is the option then so be it. A one footer is OK. How many ginkgos are you growing?. What is your favorite, or is it like choosing between children?

Illinois, IL(Zone 5b)

Quoting:
if you haven't figured out their purpose yet, I feel sorry for ya

HEY!

Niles, MI(Zone 5a)

I have 12 different types growing here. Many are still young and in pots. I know some forum members are against my indulgence in the oddities but I find them extremely interesting. I also love the stately standards but my curiosity for the unusual takes over. I can't tell you which is my favorite--depends on the day. I have 3 different variegated varieties and one is just a sight to behold. Only 2 feet tall and fear a reversion one day but until then it's awesome to look at. Did you see my recent pic I posted of 'Mutant Weeper'? It's probably the strangest of them all. I also have one that I've seen nowhere else 'Robbies Twist'. It's a contorted version with square stems.

I am always researching and seeking out new kinds and I have a shopping list for others that haven't been mentioned ('Aurea', 'Prehistoric Gold', and the list goes on).

Bottom line is you can't go wrong with planting any of the Ginkgos (except for space challenges). They are just one of those trees that demand attention.

Have you been to "The Ginkgo Pages"? Here's the site address: www.xs4all.nl/~kwanten/

Lombard, IL(Zone 5b)

Guy, sometimes I am not sure what to do with those growths (Chi-Chi) either, but I do know what they are good for (besides eye candy). I am guessing you have already seen this site, but it has all sorts of large trees in Japan. He might be your Japanese equivalent, although I doubt he is 7 ft tall.

http://www.kyoboku.com/47/

Holland, OH(Zone 5b)

dybbuk - the link was excellent. I made up my mind and ordered "Chris's Dwarf" from Greer Gardens. If Greer Gardens has their info straight the tree will get 8 X 8, which is ideal for my circumstances. I had a real hard time not ordering a varigated or pendula. (Now for the companion plants for this bed. I am thinking dwarf conifers. )Any tips on culture you care to share? The soil is ph6.5 sandy loam sun from 10:00 am to 7:00pm. The soil will be raised and well amended with compost. I sure appreciate your help.

I am so excited about this I can't wait. My enthusiasim will be tempered when it arrives at a whopping 6 to 12 inches. I will have to cage it for a few years as rabbits here are plentiful and they love to strip bark from young trees in the winter when food is scarce.

Niles, MI(Zone 5a)

Glad I could help. I've seen an older 'Chris's Dwarf' and it was a great looking tree. Sounds like you are well prepared for a happy Ginkgo. Good job! My experience with Greer Gardens has been very positive. I recently got a 'Mediopictum' Tulip Tree from them and it was quoted to be 4-5' but it's at least 6' and in perfect condition.

Unfortunately I am not savvy with companion plants. A better word might be "clueless". I'm sure there are others here to help.

ps. I just had to stake up my 'Ross Moore' AGAIN! I hope he appreciates my commitment.

Illinois, IL(Zone 5b)

That's a great site (Trees in Japan)! How did you stumble upon that? Is there an English version?

As I think more about it and read various comments, I think we're talking about different phenomena. The growths I was referring to are like stalactites hanging from the large old limbs. Does that sound like Chi-Chi?

Snapple, I know others who hads similar experiences getting stuff out of China. But I had no trouble at all (well, if you don't count the fact that my luggage was left in Hong Kong on the way over there!). Dumb luck maybe.

Guy S.

Lombard, IL(Zone 5b)

Maybe a pre-bra Chi-Chi. Your Chi Chis would look like that too if you were 1000 years old. I think someone over on GW posted that link a long time ago on the Japanese Garden forum. I haven't looked too much for an English version, but if someone knows, please post. My dwarf ginkgo (I think Marikem) is on the verge of biting it. Stupid squirrels or rabbits pulled it out of the ground a coupe of weeks ago and ate virtually all the roots. That thing was a lot of money from Rich's last year. I thought the ginkgo might be safe as nothing touched it all winter without any protection.

As far as grouping with the ginkgo, you are on your own. This is always hard for me especially when it comes to slow growing things. I might try pairing it with a dwarf picea pungeons with a good blue color to contrast the yellow fall color and you will also want some type of dwarf pine in that planting, something with a nice fluffy appearance to go with the spruce. I am sure the conifer people can give you better ideas as they know all the dwarfs (as do the carnies).

Bill

Holland, OH(Zone 5b)

Yeow, carnies. Oh that's precious. Actually I was thinking of blue as the color contrast. Thanks for the ideas as I think you have it just about right. The cage will be a 2' x 4' hardware cloth affair pegged into the ground that I have used in the past to protect other smallish seedlings. I learned the hard way after I nearly lost a magnolia "Butterflies" to rabbits. The rabbits around here just love magnolia bark. The squirrels eat the flower buds just before they open, for crying out loud. I actually get to see about 40% to 50% of the actual number of buds it produces in flower. Incidentally, that magnolia is a showstopper, even at 40%.

On the Marikem, ate the roots? Wow, that's one I havn't heard before. How big was it that it could get pulled up? Maybe I should chicken wire the roots. The wire can disintegrate over time and protect the roots in the interim. Heavens, listen to what lengths gardeners will go to in order to protect their stuff. Better safe than sorry I guess. Thanks for the heads up.

Niles, MI(Zone 5a)

Here's a picture of a centuries-old chi-chi. The one I got from Rich's is actually named 'Tit'.

Thumbnail by dybbuk
Niles, MI(Zone 5a)

snapple45, here's a pic of Mariken...

Thumbnail by dybbuk
Holland, OH(Zone 5b)

That is a beauty, dybbuk. I am referring to the Marikem. On the, ahem, protuberances from the centuries old Chi-Chi I just don't know what to say.

Rock Island, IL(Zone 5b)

Indulge yourself in conifers: (click on a photo to see a name) I think I have maybe just guessing 800 - 1000 photos from arboreta, etc.

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v280/Cultivar/

The name will be written like this:
AbieskoreanaSilberlocke = Abies koreana 'Silberlocke'
or
AcerjaponicumAcontifolium = Acer japonicum 'Acontifolium' (Maple)

Just so you understand,

Dax

Lombard, IL(Zone 5b)

Maybe there was something near the roots like a grub or something, but either way it got yanked and in the ensuing mayhem, something tore off all the roots. It was probably around 12-18 inches tall with no protection at all. Next time I will protect it. That same day it got a Seiryu Japanese Maple that was nice around 4 ft well branched and finally was in the ground this year. I had a plastic corrugated drain tube around the trunk to protect it from damage and that was actually removed and something chewed on the bark basically completely girdling the tree. So far it has not died, but I do not have my hopes up for it. A dark day in the brief history of my landscape.

Bill

Holland, OH(Zone 5b)

Oh what a rotton shame about the Seiryu. Any idea what member of the rodentia family is doing this? Do you live near a nuclear power plant or something? Sound like it could be a mutant. Now I don't feel quit so silly with the hardware cloth cages or surrounds. They may look ugly for a few years but at least the plant survives.

I will be taking my time perusing the conifer shots. I wont need to look elsewhere for ideas. Also very educational. What a collection! Thanks for sharing and thanks for taking the time to make them available for viewers. A real treasure.

Mary

Lombard, IL(Zone 5b)

Arrghh, I lost my post. Here goes again.

Anyways, it had to be something with hands to remove that drainage pipe. Either a rabid child or a squirrel x rabbit hybrid. Do you think it is illegal to put the heads of those rabbits or squirrels on posts at the corners of my yard? Maybe I'll hang their skulls from tiki torches so they can see their fate at night.

Bill

Jonesboro, GA(Zone 7b)

LOL!!!!! Great idea for the squirrels heads. But I can't imagine a squirrel ripping the bark off - sounds more like a beaver or even deer if they are really thirsty.

Lombard, IL(Zone 5b)

I have neither. I live in suburbia with only rabbits, squirrels, poss'm, raccoon, fox, etc. No deer here thankfully. The damage to the actual plant looked more rabbit like, I just can't figure how they would pry apart the pipe without hands.

Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

Thanks for the interesting ginkgo pics, all.

When is someone going to name one of those 'Madonna'?

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

I was thinking maybe Dolly Parton. So how do they form? I don't know where to look to find out. Guy inform us.

Rock Island, IL(Zone 5b)

Mary and all - you're very welcome (conifer photos).

I'm trying to convince a friend of mine to name a twisted/contorted White Pine Shrub (witches' broom) - 'Natty Dreads' or the now politically correct suggestion (I'll explain), 'Jamaican Curls'. Heck the young man is in his early thirties and told me that 'Natty Dreads' for a name, was 'too far out on a limb for his traditionalistic view.' I'm still trying to figure out what that means. How in the world 'would the world' live/cohabitate without Reggae Music??????????????????' I know I can't live without some heart wrenching blues every(day) and the "gospel" often spelled out in Reggae Music. It's uplifting if "anything."

And here I think I got the perfect name for this thing... (darn republicans/fascist's! just kidding..)

How numming a society we have. This plant has curled/contored growth and curled/knarled needles - the thing looks like a chunk of dreadlocks. 'Traditionalistic' - heck you can't get any closer (to the truth). I still think it's perfect...

(Sorry just 'absolving' myself from 'the truth.')

Dax

Illinois, IL(Zone 5b)

Dax, I LOVE the name! As lonmg as no one takes offense (ask around to be sure it's well received) I think it's a great idea. Even those who have no clue could relate to it merely as a name.

Quoting:
So how do they form? I don't know where to look to find out. Guy inform us.

Steve, I have no idea how they form, but that photo posted by Dybbuk is indeed the phenomenon I had in mind. Maybe they're the yin to the yang of Taxodium knees -- stalactites to stalagmites!

Guy S.

Lombard, IL(Zone 5b)

Does anything happen when they eventually touch the ground?

Rock Island, IL(Zone 5b)

Thanks for the suggestion guy. Can anybody tell me what 'traditionalist views' are nowadays with respect to 'dreadlocks'? This is the part I'm having difficulty (100%) understanding. Is 'The Church' against this type of hair? What is the argument actually? Does it have to do with anything? I don't get it.

Does it mean that Jamaican culture is being dissed in some way?

That's the part I don't understand.. It's just hair people...

Your opinions please! Unfortunately now this sounds racial or some other nitpicking crud... which I hate.

Maybe I'm taking this all wrong. I don't think I am though. Doesn't look the slightest bit fuzzy or gray to me. It's just a COOL name people! That's all. My mind stops there. And Reggae music, I mean, what the heck? I think a fair stereotyping has factual reality as does this witches' broom.

Thanks a lot and sorry for stealing this thread. Heck, even Africans in Kenya on the Eastern Coast now a days still wear dreadlocks as a reminder of the war they fought with the Brithish who were trying to take over their land. It (dreadlocks) have become a sign of 'Man'. Once again, I don't understand where people come off nowadays... same old junk. Got my racial grandmother, racial father, non-racial mother, and 32 years of acceptance of all here, in myself.

Why am I even asking. This is nuts. See you guys later. I'm growing dreadlocks...

Later.

Dax

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

Dax as one of those Church people I make it a point of not dissing anybody because I would be dissed the same way by our maker. Dreadlocks are fine in my book. You are right some of those people are going to have a good dissing when they face their maker. LOL

Holland, OH(Zone 5b)

Natty Dreads is a wonderful name. The image it evokes gives you an immediate picture of the plants outstanding characteristics. I share conifer's puzzlement of any valid basis for an objection. It baffles me completely why anyone would find it unacceptable. What this has to do with a "traditionalist view" , whatever that is, of anything I'll never understand. It makes absolutely no sense at all.

What a shame that we are losing color and richness in our language because someone has his shorts in a bunch. Or should I be politically correct and say knickers in a knot?

Rock Island, IL(Zone 5b)

Well thanks guys. We're all people you know? We're here to support each other and that's about it. Neighborly 'qualities'. Respect for 'self'!

Thanks for your thoughts.

Dax

Lombard, IL(Zone 5b)

what does the natty in natty dreads stand for? I think you are overreacting to your friends reply to the name. I haven't ever heard much anti-dread or Jamaican comments on Fox news ever. Maybe your friend just doesn't like the name, which I couldn't imagine as I like that name. I also like imagining some of the older nursery people saying natty dreads, not having a clue what they are reefer-ing to.

Skip the dreads and grab the razor. Bald is beautiful.

Bill

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.