angel trumpets? does anyone grow these and have pics?

Phenix City, AL(Zone 8a)

pretty sure this is what i seen growing at our local post office...will bring camera and take pics in the next few days. who grows these around here? how do they do for you? bloom time, care, etc. good gardening - jon

Barnesville, GA(Zone 7b)

Jon, I'm a newbie to them myself so cannot offer much advice. If you go to the brugmansia forum you will find a number of growers in Georgia. One that comes to mind is Georgiaredclay, another is Violabird.

Jackson, SC(Zone 8a)

BRugmansia forum here and datura forum hee are two really wonderful resources.

also it depends on which one you have as both are named angels trumpets.

Barnesville, GA(Zone 8a)

I have a Brug-care website and deal mainly with local folks and the U of GA garden. I'll dmail the info for you, it's a lot eaisier then reading thru all the posts on the forum, K?
Vi

This message was edited Jul 12, 2006 9:04 AM

Phenix City, AL(Zone 8a)

thanks vi......i'll check it out. good gardening - jon

Jon, I grow them. Unfortunately, with the drought they have just not done as well as usual! I am usually on my 2nd flowering.

I grow more "common" types and they all do excellent and are hardy in the garden provided you take care to keep out excess winter wetness from their hollow stem. I do this by cutting them back to about 4" from the ground in late fall (after they have had a light frost and are droopy), then throwing an extra large garden pot over top of them. To keep the pot in place I just throw a stone or brick on top which also absorbs heat in the winter.

Mine are grown in a raised bed with relatively good drainage, are always mulched. They get more water than anything else I grow, and I feed them every 2nd week with fish emulsion in growing season. At the beginning of the growing season they also get a hefty helping of alfalfa. Since they haven't flowered I'm going to throw on more alfalfa the next time it is going to rain. Some folks swear by miracle grow for their brugs.

GGG

Phenix City, AL(Zone 8a)

hey ggg, thanks for your reply....your posts are always detailed and very informative....i always make it a point to read your posts throughout the forums. - jon

Jon, I went out and gave 'em more fish fertilizer last night and noticed flower pods growing...so I'll be able to get some photos in the next two weeks and actually see one of the new brugs flower for the first time! I always take cuttings in the fall, they root easily..you'll be welcome to some when the time comes.

GGG

Morven, GA(Zone 8b)

A very good friend who has a daylilies nursery gave us an angels trumpet plant, he said it is yellow color, we have been told these plants are in pink and white colors flowers as well, we saw one plant he has blooming in his yard in yellow flowers and it is courteous, i can not wait to see my plant start blooming, we dug the plant from his yard and it has a huge root, we brought the plant home and we just plant it on a bucket with sand keep it on water, it started dropping leaves, and when those are craking from the stick we took the leaves from the plant, we left just the ones close to the ends, the plant is now making new leaves and looks like is gonna live, we are thinking to plant it in the ground but we still don't know where is the perfect place to do it....

Barnesville, GA(Zone 7b)

plantslover, check the brugmansia forum and you'll see all kinds of info about them. They usually like morning sun and afternoon shade.

Morven, GA(Zone 8b)

BUGME, thanks a lot for your info, now i know where to plant my angels trumpet in my yard....Have a nice day

Yes, I totally agree about PM shade. Mine get no shade, and they slump in the PM.

GGG

Phenix City, AL(Zone 8a)

hey ggg, cool......let me know when you get ready to take your cuttings. can't wait to see the pics to see what colors/size blooms yours have. if you are interested in some other varieties let me know as there is a local guy that collects common trumpets and shares his cuttings w/ others as well. he told me most people take his cuttings and root them in water over winter...then plant in spring. whats your thoughts/opinion on this? is that how you do it as well? - jon

Powder Springs, GA(Zone 7b)

Full sun and lots of water for the biggest plants, but will do good in shade too - an easy perennial and cuttings are very easy whether by water or soilless mix. They are small trees over here in Thailand where I've been since July 6th.

Barnesville, GA(Zone 8a)

How's this? A new introduction called 'Velvet Rose' seems to laugh at heat and bugs for me. It's very first flush was 14 buds, blooms last 3 days in this heat, beautiful flowery scent. If you're going for brugs, it's worth it to do your homework and get one that does well in the south. Since they can take so much time, effort and fertilizer, why kill yourself?

2 great sources for well rooted brugs: http://davesgarden.com/gwd/c/2470/ and http://davesgarden.com/gwd/c/3739/

Thumbnail by violabird

A golden brugmansia from my old house in full sun. Got this one from White Flower Farm years ago. The pink flower is Confederate Rose (hibiscus mutabilis) and the double yellow flower with the purple stem is a datura.

Thumbnail by hcmcdole

I root cuttings in water. A gal named Wildflower (I'm not sure if she participates in Dave's Garden) and I were talking about ariation last winter. Apparently some plants root better in moving, oxygenated water than in standing water. So I'm thinking if you have an old aquarium and pump that might do a great job for the rooting? I have one but I don't think Sam and Dave would appreciate brugs in their water :)
I root my cuttings in a very cool location. I keep the house nextdoor in the 50's during the winter, and root my cuttings in very large, clear jars. I just left them there all winter, changing water a few times. I lost very few to "mush".
Not all types root best this way. The brug forum will have PLENTY of info on this come fall, and rooting season.

Violabird, that brug is to DIE for. Is is a Suaveolens (sp??). I tried a red Suav once but it croaked on me. It did not seem to appreciate humidity.

hcmcdole, that is a great combo with the brugs, the conf. rose and the variaged arundo behind it!!
I'm hoping my middle of the 3 brugs is about that color. It is supposed to be.

The cream is blooming! First year in the ground, so I'm so pleased!! I'll take a photo of it tonight. Just a few blooms, but as lovely and creamy yellow to almost white as I had wanted. Exactly the same color as the daylilies at it's feet (now out of bloom, of course :)

GGG

Barnesville, GA(Zone 8a)

hmc, lovely combo!!!

GGG, call me 'Vi' it's much shorter, lol.

I am so pleased (and amazed) with Velvet Rose, I could shout! Would you believe this was about a 14" rooted cutting this spring? It's a multi-hybrid by JT Sessions of Florida who's doing wonders with brugs bred for heat and pest resistance. To honor him, I won't share till it's been on the market for awhile, hope you understand, he's been very good to me :) I usually have great luck with Suave's, Valley Misty Pink and 'Donna's Monster' have been blooming on and off since late May, both up from the roots--VMP is about 6'. I love whites the most believe it or not!

Funny you should mention bubbling, I had just brought up this thread for a new friend http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/467661/
the only thing added to this method is inserting a toothpick in the end, guess I need to add it to my edu site.

Oh, Vi :)
That's country gardens? I was thinking about purchasing from him last year and then Wildflower and I did this crazy swap of stuff so I couldn't have imagined any more brug space...but I actually DO have more brug space :) and will have PLENTY more in the future.
I'm going over to that website now.
There are so many really nice plant sellers in Florida. I have been buying crinums and other bulbs love a lovely man in Florida through eBay. Goodness, I've forgotten his user ID now.. I usually purchase this stuff in the winter when he is digging.

GGG

Jonesboro, GA(Zone 7b)

What gorgeous pics, everybody. Just lovely. I've always admired the brugs, but never grew any because of our friends the deer (no brugs on the deer resistant list that I can see). Now I read that all parts of the plant are poisonous. Anyone have experience with deer eating or not eating them? Also, I have one spot that gets sun from about 11:00 am on. Is that enough sun for them? I know I should go over to the brug thread, but thought I'd ask here first. Sheila

I had GIANT grey catipillars almost strip the snowbank of leaves in it's pot the other night. Didn't seem to hurt them one bit.

GGG

Here is a huge brug from Thailand a few days ago. Most were out of bloom there last week.

Also I find brugs easy to root in a good potting mix - better roots than water and less care.

Thumbnail by hcmcdole
Barnesville, GA(Zone 8a)

GGG, JT is a fine man, he's been coming to our fall swaps for years. Brenda has super reviews too, I just 'won' her new 'Sun Goddess' brug for naming it, how cool is that?

Sheila, that's one MAIN reason I like brugs! Deer don't go near them. I have a hillside garden they feast on, but my front yard is almost surrounded by brugs and they haven't been in to sample a thing. (I'm way off the road and do get deer in front too, just not around the front gardens)

Almost everything is poisous--just don't get brug juice in your eye or they will dialate and look like you're on drugs (ask me how I know)

Just know that most of them are demanding if you want good bloom, limit yourself to just a few that do well here or you'll be their slave. I'll dmail some info if you like.

Barnesville, GA(Zone 8a)

Oh to live in Thailand with a tree like that! Imagine the scent!!
Do you go there often?

This was my first trip. My daughter has been twice. I would go again but I think I would give it a few years since the trip over and back is grueling. Check out some more pictures at the begonia forum.

http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/627032/

Phenix City, AL(Zone 8a)

hey vi,
"Just know that most of them are demanding if you want good bloom, limit yourself to just a few that do well here or you'll be their slave. I'll dmail some info if you like"

looking forward to your suggestions...instead of a dmail..better yet, post the info here for all to share. - jon

Jonesboro, GA(Zone 7b)

Vi - Thanks so much for the info. Whoo-hoo, brugs in my future, I'm thinking. Dmail is fine, or, as Jon says, just post here or on a new thread. Particularly interested in the ones you know do well here (but I guess that info may be somewhere in this threat, so I'll have to re-read). Anyway, I'm psyched. Sheila

Here is the first blooms on a one year old Sunray. Please ignore bug bites in leaves!!

GGG

Thumbnail by
Valdosta, GA(Zone 8b)

So that's what these are. Huh. We have a lady around here who has a good sized specimen in her front yard and I've always wondered what they were. Hope you're able to grow them successfully. A truly unique plant.

Phenix City, AL(Zone 8a)

hey all, here is a pic
thanks for everyones input/comments on this thread - jon

Thumbnail by gardening101a
Phenix City, AL(Zone 8a)

and another pic from the post office.....this is the second flush of flowers i have seen on these plants. - jon

Thumbnail by gardening101a
Barnesville, GA(Zone 8a)

That's a Datura Jon.

As much as I'd like to help everyone out, it's hard to write a book here. Since I sell a few brugs as a hobby it's not permitted for me to post my site here, even tho it started for educational purposes.

The main problem with brugs is that they are like roses and need special care. So many folks get too many to care for then get discouraged. It's a shame, but true. The more one sees, the more they want--it can become an expensive obsession.

My soil is ammended red clay, I can talk about what does well in my soil, if your's if different, I can direct you to another site.

K?

Phenix City, AL(Zone 8a)

hey vi, just did a google learned the differences between datura and brugs. same soil....organic matter added to the georgia red clay. looking forward to your dmail - jon

Barnesville, GA(Zone 8a)

I never could get interested in Dats, maybe because the first one I ever smelled stunk, lol! I'm just an ole lady that likes scent.

Re-check your mail, I sent one July 12, let me know if I need to resend.

I saw a KILLER datura in Grant Park last night. Two actually, on either side of an entry way. They were perfect. Beautiful.
We tried growing them once and they got eaten to a quick! They'd recover and something would strip them again. I gave up.

I think they are very beautiful too.

GGG

Marietta, GA(Zone 7b)

The liquid inside the seedpod is extremely dangerous, and should not be touched with bare skin. Eating parts of plant is toxic so be careful around children.
Zones below 9 will probably find that roots freeze and die so they must be over-wintered as tropicals

Datura should be treated as an annual but can be easily grown by last year's seed or older. Brugmansia (knock on wood) has proved to be a hardy perennial in the Atlanta area and in Middle TN (my parents mulch theirs in TN and haven't lost any yet for the past 8 years or more).

Lots of plants are poisonous or slightly toxic. You wouldn't eat the stems or leaves of tomato or potato plants since they have some toxicity, but they are valuable food crops. Poison ivy is one plant I avoid actively. Mild rashes from other plants usually clear quickly for me, but each person reacts differently so handle any strange plants cautiously. Same goes for food - some people can die from eating peanuts for example but I love them.

Marietta, GA(Zone 7b)

One of mine.. No name that I know of :)

Susan

Thumbnail by soulgardenlove
Marietta, GA(Zone 7b)

Close up

Marietta, GA(Zone 7b)

Yellow Bloom with big butterfly :)

Susan

Post a Reply to this Thread