A.S. Golden Fullmoon

Plano, TX(Zone 7a)

My favorite..

xman

Thumbnail by f6r22
Lakeland / Memphis, TN(Zone 7a)

I recently purchased one of these beauties at a local nursery. Are you waiting until fall to plant yours ? Mine is still in it's bucket also. Scared to do anything until the heat passes.

Plano, TX(Zone 7a)

n2birds,

I have zero shade in my yard, so I keep all my maples in containers so that I can keep moving them around as summer progresses. When it get too hot, I put them on my patio which faces east and gets a little shade.

xman

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

It''s a beautiful tree. I can see why you love it.

Plano, TX(Zone 7a)

Thanks doss. I always wanted to get a A.S Golden Fullmoon, but kept putting it off as I did not know how it will fare in the 100+ TX heat. So far its been doing great, no leaf scorch. It gets about 3 hours of the afternoon sun, but is protected from the wind.

xman

Lake Dallas, TX

Xman, how long have you had it? I've been wanting one of those but have always been talked out of it by the authorities. Did you get it from metro maples?

Plano, TX(Zone 7a)

tobydmv,

Not long, in fact I got this august 05 from www.wildwoodmaples.com. Unfortunately they shipped it almost bareroot to me. It went into shock and looked dead for almost 8 months, but leafed out this march. According to Metromaples they do not sell or propagate this any more because they say it will not do well in the TX heat. So far its doing great, in fact this is the only tree other than my orange dream and autumn moon that does not have any leaf scorch. Even my fireglow and red dragon have a little scorch.
I too have read that this is a tough one to grow, but I have read some people mention exactly the opposite. Only time will tell..

xman

Lake Dallas, TX

Well it looks like you have yours in a good spot. All of my maples are leaf scorched right now, even the ones in full shade. Maybe my potting soil drains too easily. What kind of mix are you using?

Springfield, IL(Zone 6a)

I have tried to deal with Wildwoods and I wouldn't recommend them ...#1 you have to send a check in advance #2 no photos of your plant #3 really bad email responce #4 it could litterally take weeks to get your product unless you plan REALLY far ahead yiou could get it at a BAD time.... this is set up more like a brick and mortor nursery ...I don't think it is wise to deal with this dude on a mail order basis..david

Plano, TX(Zone 7a)

tobydmv,

My soil drains well too, mine is a mix of 4 parts 1/4" pine bark(3 parts uncomposted, 1 part composted), 1 part peat, 1 part turface, 1 part granite grit, 1 part expanded shale. I have noticed that the trees exposed to some wind show more scorching than ones that are protected given the same sun exposure.

myersphcf,
I would not buy from wildwoods again for the same reasons. Have been bitten more than once buying trees without looking at the photos.

xman

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.