Garden Cheat Sheet

Cordele, GA(Zone 8a)

I recently read an article on different ways to label your plants. I wish I had read it before I started my garden this spring. This author, I think her name is Mary Bonney, liked to collect rocks, (fist size). Putting them to good use, she used puffy paint and wrote the name of her plants on them. Being a novice gardener, she placed the rock under the plant and when friends asked what the name of the plant was she reached under and pulled out the rock. I'm gathering my rocks to try this technique next spring.
This year, I used broken wooden window grids (all the free sticks I had in the workshop) and wrote the names of each plant (mostly perennials) and stuck it in the ground next to the plant. I also needed some way to identify where my perennials were planted after they die back. If all else fails and my butterfly garden flops at least I'll have a stick garden.lol

Does anyone have a unique way of remembering their plants names or a cute way of labeling them that you want to share?

Deborah

Barnesville, GA(Zone 7b)

Deborah, we recently put in a dahlia bed. The tubers are identified with a stamped number and in order to know what was where, after placing the fence post in for support, I placed a tiny clay pot on top after writing the name of each dahlia and it's number. These pots are very inexpensive and Michael's carries a pen made just for use on clay pots. I then sprayed with acrylic. This could be used with other plantings, just figuring out how to affix it to a support........here is a pic

This message was edited Jul 10, 2006 5:17 AM

Thumbnail by bugme
Barnesville, GA(Zone 7b)

Here is a close up of one.......that first shot is too blurry.

Thumbnail by bugme
Cordele, GA(Zone 8a)

What a good idea!

Thomson, GA

How cute! I also have paint pens I use on stuff outside, but they are kinda expensive. Did I read somewhere that the P-touch labels are weather resistant? I thought about using those next year.Not sure on what, yet. The pots are a really cute idea.

Augusta, GA

I have a small heat-thermogenic sealer (can't think of the name for this --senior moment) for enclosing paper items in plastic protective sleeves with the thought of printing out labels and then sealing them. I could put a good bit of info on the other side like plant date & where purchased/traded. I'm undecided about how to attach them to stakes other than glue and popcycle sticks, and would appreciate any ideas.
thanx,
deb

Cordele, GA(Zone 8a)

ddensmore, your idea reminded me of an article I saved entitled, "Making Decoupage Plant Markers". It's from www.enviro-explorers.com. How or why I found it on a kid's site, I don't remember, but I'm glad I did. There's some "neat stuff", as my kids use to say. Lots of easy outdoorsy projects, crafts, and gardening tips.

I had thought about decoupaging my seed envelops and pasting them on the stick trick this site uses. I haven't done it yet. Still pondering alot of options.

If anyone can find the time, surf this site.

ddensmore, stick with your idea, you are definitely on to a good marker project. When you do fine-tune it, let us know.

Deborah

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.