Fourteen potato plants!

Aurora, CO(Zone 5a)

I went out yesterday to look at them, and I counted eight poking up above the soil. This morning, I counted twelve. I just went out to look at them again, and I counted FOURTEEN! I think the last several days have been dreary, cold, and wet, but my plants love it. I also have sixteen broccoli sprouts. If I can keep the flea beetles off of them, I may actually get some broccoli this year. I have several zucchini sprouts, including one coming out of a hill that I had given up on.

I can't wait to see what happens when the sun comes back out.

Brimfield, MA(Zone 5a)

Sounds great, what type of potato did you try this year? Good job.

Aurora, CO(Zone 5a)

Initially I ordered potato sets from Burpee, but they never arrived, and when I complained they got nasty and accused me of lying. So I bought a couple red and a couple white potatoes from Whole Foods, cut them up, and planted them. Then a little later I bought all blue potatoes from Gurneys. I initially planted 21. The newest of the blue potatoes and one or two of the red/white potatoes haven't come up yet. But my potatoes are loving this cool, wet weather, so they may put in an appearance any day now.

Now if I can just keep the varmints from chomping them....

I haven't had a fresh from the garden potato since I was a child. I am so looking forward to it.

Brimfield, MA(Zone 5a)

Awwww, that sounds terrific, good for you... glad the weather is working FOR you instead of the other way around. Thanks for sharing the great news!

Aurora, CO(Zone 5a)

TWENTY potato plants so far!

And I have a question. I hilled them tonight, but do I pat the dirt down around them so that it's firm? All I did really was shovel a lot of dirt up against the stems.

Shenandoah Valley, VA(Zone 6b)

I think that's just fine. Doing good!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.