WHEN/HOW TO PLANT MIMOSA SEEDS

Guyton, GA

Hello, new to site. I was wondering when it is a good time to plant MIMOSA seeds. We really love these trees and want our yard full of them. I live in SAVANNAH, GA. thanks in advance
laford1986@alltel.net

Atlanta, GA(Zone 8a)

I think that Mimosa are considered to be "weed trees." I would research this before I planted any seeds. I agree that the tree and flowers are attractive but there are some problems with these trees that you might want to check out..

I agree, you need to be careful if you don't have a mow space around this tree.
However, to germinate the seed must be scarified, knicked or plunged quickly into fully boiling water and then planted in a warm situation. I am going to sow seeds for "Summer Chocolate" tomorrow. I did not knick them down far enough in spring, and they did not germinate!

GGG

Camilla, GA(Zone 8a)

Here in my neck of GA, every seed that hits the ground sprouts..And we are talking thousands, and not just near the tree..Way away from the tree, lol..Beautiful, yes. I have one that is probably 40 feet and huge all over..Wouldn't take anything for it, but......it is a PITA..lol..they come up in my flower beds, pots and on an uncleaned roof by the zillions..

Larkie

Thomson, GA

I have one that I love, all the others are weeds!! It depends on where they grow, I'm sure. It is hard to plant near them, because it seems everytime I do I end up with Mimosa babies in my flower beds. Cool thing, though, they do attract hummers like nothing else in my yard. I was walking under mine the other evening and heard a hmmmm right at my head; sure enough, a little hummer was enjoying the pink blooms over my head. Mine already have seed pods all over the place. I had to remove about 15 this year so far, and I keep finding more.

Evans, GA(Zone 7b)

A friend passed along two seedlings. Both have grown (and quickly!), but only one has blooms. I've heard that sometimes they don't flower if they are transplanted. The one that blooms is especially attractive - both the color and a scent, and both offer good shade. However, the branches can break easily in high winds - and knowing what prolific seeders they are, I probably would not grow them again.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.