Needed: some basic advice

Lake Toxaway, NC(Zone 7a)

Last year my spousal unit built me a small greenhouse. I grew some brug cuttings in there but they got a fungus disease. Some survived after I found a spray, but i lost quite a few. The survivors were so set back that they will not get large enough to bloom this year so I will have to put them back in the greenhouse.
How can I avoid the fungus problem? Should I run a fan all the time? I have a little heater in there, one of those oil-filled radiators. But I don't know what is the best temperature to stop stuff from freezing and maybe get them to grow a little. Any advice would be appreciated.

Gamleby, Sweden(Zone 7a)

Even if you Brugs are to small to flower this year I dont see why you need to put them back in the greenhouse. You are as likely to get more fungal infection in the green house summer time as you are winter time and on top of that they have it better in the sun with some shade during the day.
I have been reading tons of info because I want a GH and in most info it says that you absolutely should have the air circulated in a greenhouse as it prevents fungal infection,or have open vents or/and doors to keep the air circulated I dont think you need to add heat summertime:0))

Wintertime you should have a fan to keep air circulated and heat.
Janett

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

I'm assuming you meant just putting them back in the greenhouse for this winter, not putting them in now? As Janett said, greenhouse in the summertime will likely be much worse for them than keeping them out in the fresh air. And as she said too, air circulation is very key in the wintertime--I had set up a "fake" greenhouse last winter by stapling greenhouse plastic to the sides of my covered patio, it wasn't overall very air-tight so it was sort of self-ventilated most of the time, but when we would get a lot of rain the humidity got very high and it didn't get as cold at night, and all of a sudden there was fungus growing everywhere! As far as how warm to keep the greenhouse in winter, I would find out what the minimum temperature is for your most cold-sensitive plants, and keep the greenhouse slightly higher than that (or if all you're growing is brugs, I would ask over on that forum what temp you should keep them at)

Fulton, MO

I agree, you absolutely should run a fan all the time, at least any time your exhaust fan/ventilation system is not working.

There is a formula which states that you should have fans which, in cfm, are equal to at least 2 times the floor surface area in square feet. This rule of thumb underestimates, in my opinion, the fan capacity needed for a smaller greenhouse. I have 460 sq feet of GH and I use up to 5 fans in the winter.

Be careful of fan placement...the young foliage of some plants is sensitive to blowing air.

There may be a big difference betweent the temp needed to get a dormant plant through the winter and the temp needed to get growth.

SB

Lake Toxaway, NC(Zone 7a)

Yes, I am growing them outside now, but want to return them to the greenhouse before frost. My greenhouse is only the size of a bathroom. I have a lot of shelving in it, however. I will be certain to run the fan fulltime. Thank you both for your advice.

Livermore, CA(Zone 9a)

I have a 10 x 14 ft. greenhouse in my backyard . I run two fans, one pointed in each direction. I had never had a problem with fungus or mold until one of my fans burned out this winter. I couldn't find another small one anywhere and that is when I got fungus. Since I put another fan on the other end of the greenhouse, I haven't had any problems.

I also grow alot of brugs. in my greenhouse over winter. I didn't have a problem with fungus on them, however did have a problem with mealy bugs., which I am still trying to get rid of. I was growing approx. 400 hoya's in there , and they love hoya's, so they would spread to the othe plants. That was my worst problem. Now I am gradually getting rid of the hoya's because I have decided because of the cost of heating the greenhouse, to get rid of most of the tropical plants.

I also wanted to add, that camomille tea in a sprayer really helps with fungus problems.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.