Uh, Pachysandra anyone?

Jonesboro, GA(Zone 7b)

This summer, DH and I are going to remove the Pachysandra that is threatening to take over an island in our back yard. It was welcome when we had nearly nothing, and when every unplanted inch had to be mulched, but it needs to go. It is invasive, but care free and rather nice looking. We have found that it cannot penetrate a deep clay boundary (or at least not in the 4 years we've been here). I wouldn't dream of offering it to anyone who did not have a plan for keeping it within bounds, but would anybody else in a situation similar to our situation of 4 years ago like some of it?

Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

That would be nice on a shady bank I have but I'm afraid it would become loaded with snakes. My shade is on a bank of a big lagoon with tree cover, I need something to hold the soil under the trees but that stuff would probably end up home to many cottonmouths. Need something not so tall.

Jonesboro, GA(Zone 7b)

You're right that it's a nice hiding place. If it's a dry bank you could try Ajuga. Some people say it's invasive, too, but it's far more easily controlled. It's only a few inches high. Several different varieties, too, to choose from. It works in shade, but doesn't like wet feet, so depends on how high the bank is above the lagoon.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.