Some pot thoughts

Tacoma, WA(Zone 8b)

Hi all,

Never considered myself much of a pot gardener but as my beds become more and more dense and young plants have no chance of competing, I've been growing a lot of things in pots especially in areas with really dense roots (my bamboo grove) that won't allow competition. I've been surprised how much better the plants look in somewhat decorative pots rather than the lovely black plastic things that we all have stacks of.

Thanks Pixy for the tip about 1/2 price pots -

I checked out the 1/2 price pots in Renton. They had a lot of inside pots (houseplant pots) as well as the high-fired, frost-resistant outdoor ones and a few really great fiberglass pots. The prices were very good - comparable to the lower priced ones at the Windmill. I was a little disappointed, though, when I found a whole palette of BEAUTIFUL pots (the one on the coming soon area of halfpricepots.com) that were all priced and bar coded. There was a little laminated sign that read, "these pots are not ready for you yet". How did they know? Did they talk to the pots? I was sure ready for them. I asked one of the young men there if I could possibly get some of them & he just pointed to the sign. When I explained that I had driven for 40 minutes to get there, he replied that he understood but that if he made an exception for one, he'd have to do it for everyone. RATS! He didn't know when the pots would be ready & wasn't familiar with their website so didn't know if they updated it regularly to show when the pots would reach their age of majority (guess that they get to choose when they want to leave home) I will go back because I really loved those pots and I might need to pick up one of those brown ones with the high relief of dragons as well. The selection was quite nice and I left with four pots. As far as the really big Vietnamese pots, the prices were good but not spectacular. I think that with their buy one get one free policy, Tacama Boys/H& L produce would probably be the least expensive place to get one of those really huge pot bellied, water holding, takes two men and a forklift, $300.00 pots. If you go in with a friend, they would only be 150.00 each.

I do hope that everyone checks out Bamford and Bamford in Tacoma. The pots are not cheap (they have a damaged area, though where I get a lot of reasonablly priced pots) but they have the biggest assortment of pots I've seen in one place. They also do fun and creative things with them to give buyers ideas. They carry some interesting and unusual plants as well. The location...aah right on the water. You can watch the boats come and go, smell the salt water...feel the cooling breeze. Just GO.

Tacoma, WA(Zone 8a)

good imfo... thanks
Viv

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.