PBF and lavendar rhizome

McGregor, IA(Zone 4b)

well I am knee-deep in my iris borer war. Thanks, Laurie, you have given me some extra time by noting that the larger rhizomes can be held out of the ground longer. Unfortunately my irises have mostly lost their identities (but not their lives!) and I am separating by size of rhizomes. Small to be planted first. medium next, large last. I have 4" strips of hardware cloth cut to bend around the larger rhizomes so they cam be suspended upside down from the garage ceiling.
I think I will plant the itsy bitsy babies together in a miniature garden setting that I have been wanting to make for awhile, and separate all the PBF and plant together. Yesterday I discovered an interesting lavendar colored rhizome, not foliage. Has anyone ever noticed this characteristic? Have "noidea" who it is, but it may be revealed to me next year. Anyway, Pollyanna is making something good out of this near disaster...

Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

Purple rhizomes and purple ringed rhizomes (a ring of purple around the top of the rz) is fairly common among the SDBs, MDBs, and some IBs and taller beardeds. I have a list of them and of PBF cultivars (not by any means comprehensive or complete) on my website at:

http://www.angelfire.com/mn3/shadowood/irispbf.html

Remember that in zone 4b you're still going to want to get ALL of your beardeds back in the ground as soon as possible so they can root in before winter. WORK QUICKLY!!!

Laurie

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.