why are my flowers falling off

Rutland , MA(Zone 5b)

my eggplants. it seems that both my cloud nine eggplants are losing a few of their flowers. they seem to be very dark brown and i find them on the ground. they still have plenty of nice looking flowers and seem to be okay. these two eggplants share an eb container with a tomato plant which has plenty of green tomatoes on them with many flowers also.

i have two eb's and each one has a clound nine eggplant and a tomato plant.

any ideas

p.s. my black beauty plants are in 2 gal containers and i already have seen the beginnings of eggplants on them

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8b)

The blossoms that have fallen off were possibly just not pollinated.. One source I read suggested tapping the blossoms daily to assist the pollination process.

Rutland , MA(Zone 5b)

thanks will try it.

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

Sounds like lack of pollination for some reason...could be the weather (you all have had a rough go of it the past few weeks)..could be several different problems...I'd give the whole plant a gentle 'work over' every morning...my grandma used to take a broom to her tomato plants...didn't have a clue as to why...but she claimed she got more tomatoes if she gave them a 'beatin'....

Rutland , MA(Zone 5b)

when i leave for work in the morning it's still dark. LOL

Everson, WA(Zone 8a)

herbie then use a tiny artist brush or a q tip and just touch all the blossoms inside you can do this in the dark with a light or at night when you come home. Ernie

Rutland , MA(Zone 5b)

o.k. thanks. will try that when i get home this afternoon.

Southern Mountains, GA(Zone 6b)

Here's a photo of a "Pintung Long" eggplant I have in a faux Earth Box on my deck. Really it's the only place I can grow eggplants and not have them destroyed by flea beetles. I hope the continue to do well.

Thumbnail by roseone33
Rutland , MA(Zone 5b)

EXCELLENT

How is your eggplant doing Herbie?

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Rose, next year my eggplants are going in a planter on the deck or under row cover as BlueKat76 does... I just could not keep ahead of those flea beetles! They ate my 2 plants almost exclusively until they were gone, but they have now moved on to the tomatillos I think.

They are wicked little bugs!

Rutland , MA(Zone 5b)

roseone33 - they are doing just great. yesterday i noticed 3 new black beauties coming out but haven't seen ther cloud nines yet. won't be long i hope.

Good news Herbie!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.