I am going to war....

Sequim, WA(Zone 8a)

I have been popping in here every now and then and thank goodness I did! I started gardening last year "full time" and never really bothered with fertilizers, bug sprays, nothing! This year I stepped the gardening both indoors and outdoors up a "few " notches and it has had great results, I have ordered plants from all over, added plants, fruits etc etc. And it has been awesome, hubby approves and I have no more room on my deck, in my minuscule garden, nor in the house. So, I discover Dave's.....I read, I learn and learn more, start using all kinds of stuff like fertilizers and growth hormones (yay). All is great, except for one major problem; I have learned that great plants + rain + too much knowledge brings bugs (I never knew bugs liked plants as much as I do) ...lots of them, slugs, creepy crawlies, flying things and no I do NOT wanna know what they are, they creep me OUT! If I had stayed oblivious I would have thought that leaves on my Morning Glories was supposed to look like Swiss Cheese! I would not have known that fungus is not only for toes (sorry!) but for expensive Hoyas as well!!
So, to heck with being nice and not wanting to use anything chemical on my plants (as I was running around in the Yard with a sea salt grinder, all I had for the danged slugs), it's ALL OUT WAR! I have spent countless hours at the store reading all the labels deciding WHAT could possibly kill it ALL at once! Biological warfare it is!!
OK...I have vented - I feel better now, keep up the good work, the Mr.Sluggo files are a hoot and I will keep reading, 'cause I KNOW it will reach my garden from wherever in the world they come from!

West Pottsgrove, PA(Zone 6b)

You have my sympathy, Bec No Va, but you have to know your "enemy". Pests will always be a part of gardening. Those who live by the sword die by the sword. Don't go the Mutually Assured Destruction route- it's clled "MAD" for a reason

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.