Need bean advice!

Kansas City, KS

I live in Kansas. I planted Contender beans about April 27th. Have picked probably about 15 or 20 gallon buckets off two rows. They have slowed down a lot and the beans they are putting on are small and in some cases flat. The vines are still putting on a few blossoms. Is it time to pull or till and get ready to plant some Fall beans? Or will they start producing again when the weather cools a little? Any advice is appreciated!

Alexandria, IN(Zone 6a)

My vote is to pull the old beans and plant another planting now...if more beans is what you want.

Shenandoah Valley, VA(Zone 6b)

Agree w/ Indy.

Claremore, OK(Zone 6a)

I have same situation. Was just wondering what I should do. Glad it was posted here. Now I will go out and pull beans and plant more.

We just planted 2nd bunch of corn today too.

Kansas City, KS

I picked again today and only got about a gallon which is not enough to do anything with but cook or freeze. We are sick of eating them and don't like frozen. So I am pulling them out and planting new. Just hope I can find more Contenders. It is hard to find them in KCK this time of year. Does anyone know of a better variety they would recommend for Fall. Sometimes I can find Tendercrop in the Fall. Has anyone grown them?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.