Tropicanna pic

New Iberia, LA(Zone 9a)

my tropicannas in this bed are getting so pretty. i love the foliage of these plants, especially the ones getting the most sun. they are a deep red/purple. the orange bloom is even starting to grow on me.

Thumbnail by ashleykelly
Lakeland, FL(Zone 9b)

real nice would look good in my garden paul

Texas/Okla central b, United States(Zone 7b)

BeautifuL, and so healthy, they must have a great mom!

New Iberia, LA(Zone 9a)

thanks. no 'real' kids, so they do get babied!

Birmingham, AL(Zone 7b)

What color are your blooms. I have some with leaves that look like this. I thought that they were just heavily marked cleopatras.

New Iberia, LA(Zone 9a)

my blooms are the truest, brightest orange. i'll post a pic when i have a good bloom. it was by accident, but this bed turned out to be one of my favorites. i paired them with a variegated/striped grass and the contrast is really pretty.

Birmingham, AL(Zone 7b)

None of my blooms are orange, they are all either yellow or red, or both. But some of these leaves in the very back of this picture looked like yours. Yours are absolutely beautiful. There is definately a lot of depth and texture in your garden. :-)

Thumbnail by justdeb
(Tammie) Odessa, TX(Zone 7b)

Those are beautiful. How old is your Tropicanna? did you start from rhyzome or growing plant?

Tammie
Odessa, TX

New Iberia, LA(Zone 9a)

I really just started gardening this year, so it's very new. I bought 2 at a local nursery as a full grown plant and divided them up. They grow and spread fast. Here's a picture of a bloom I have right now. The lighting is not the best. It's probably more orange than the picture shows. I do find it doesn't bloom as much as my cleopatras or others I have.

Thumbnail by ashleykelly
Cordele, GA(Zone 8a)

I love the color of the leaves in your pic. Is that a reddish color?

New Iberia, LA(Zone 9a)

the leaves have gone through so many colors. right now they are a deep red, but at one time they had more purple. the more sun they get, the more interesting the colors. it's fun to watch!

Dublin, TX(Zone 8a)

Very pretty ashley ~ ~ ~ what do you fertilize yours with? I have a couple but the color seems so faded in comparison to yours. I thought they were getting too much sun, so I moved them and now I still think that they are missing something? Any ideas?
Belinda

(Tammie) Odessa, TX(Zone 7b)

I am very happy to hear that these are new plants and are looking so good. I have 3 planted in different areas of my yard and my mother does also. This means we should have plenty to trade in no time. One of mine has only been in the ground for 4 days and is already starting to grow like a weed. The others are slowly taking hold. the colors are just wonderful. I love the variations in your pictures. Here is a picture of one of them that I planted 4 days ago.. the more red leaf in the center is new since I planted it. Just took the pic a minute ago... the sun is about to hit it and will be full sun until 7 pm today. ... I just saw there is a fly on that new leaf... bad fly!

Tammie

This message was edited Jul 18, 2006 11:37 AM

Thumbnail by LhasaLover
New Iberia, LA(Zone 9a)

Tammie, very nice! It won't be long and you will have plenty of beautiful leaves. My whole bed came from two 3 gallon pots. If you can stick out the thin look for a few weeks, it's worth breaking them up and spreading them out.....they grow so fast.

Texas Mom, I don't do anything special....potting soil, horse manure, and osmocote. I have found the more sun they get the deeper the colors get. Like all my cannas, the more sun, the better....i love it! carefree, my kind of plant.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.