Earwigs in my shasta daisies

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

I'm finding several newly opened shasta daisies with earwigs all cuddled up inside. Icky! I've never had this happen before, and I am not thrilled.

Thumbnail by winging
Olympia, WA(Zone 8b)

WING,
This is supposed to work.

Best;
blue

Thumbnail by bluelytes
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

Thanks blue, I'll look into that. :)

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

I've got earwigs all over. They sleep in my flowers, I thought they liked cool places - and I open my gas door on my car - and there's an earwig in there too!

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

Eewwww, that would give me a start! I wouldn't mind them all that much if they weren't so darned ugly and scary looking.

The Woodlands, TX(Zone 9a)

You can trap earwigs by placing rolls of damp newspaper or burlap bags in areas where they are found., then collect and dispose of them the next day. They are critters of the night.

If they're just in your daisies, this should work really well. Earwigs eat lots of insects - they have a beneficial role in the garden, acting as scavengers on decaying organic matter and predators of insect larvae, snails, aphids, and other slow moving bugs. However, they can become pests, as yours have.

I am not against the bait - just giving you another option.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

Sorry for the delayed reply, but thanks ceejaytown. I'm not finding a lot now. Other than thinking they're ugly as sin, I don't think they are a problem at the moment. (or maybe ignorance is bliss?) :)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.