ID Please?

Palm Bay, FL(Zone 9b)

I've had this one for about 2 years now and the tag disappeared. Could someone id it for me? Please and thank you :)

Thumbnail by Vee8ch
Palm Bay, FL(Zone 9b)

Thumbnail by Vee8ch
Palm Bay, FL(Zone 9b)

side

Thumbnail by Vee8ch

Oh my word! I think that is one honker of a Nepenthes. I was going to say it was one species but in looking at the leaves, I doubt myself. Best for Wolf to come along and take a stab at this ID.

Palm Bay, FL(Zone 9b)

lol! I'm sorry! I should have included a leaf pic. The ones you see above are hydrangea.

Thumbnail by Vee8ch
Sherwood, MI(Zone 5b)

Thats a very nice looking N. X 'Miranda', good job growing it. Are you able to grow it directly outside there in FL?

Palm Bay, FL(Zone 9b)

Thank you soooooooo much for the id wolf. Yes it grows outside. :)

Knoxville, TN

I am a certified newby to Carnivorous plants! I have had the attached Nepenthes for several years and this is the first time it has bloomed. Should I remove the blooms? Do the blooms keep the plant from making pitchers?

Thumbnail by meltn
Palm Bay, FL(Zone 9b)

Hey Mellie :)

My nepenthes has never flowered. So I can't answer your question.
Hope all is well with you :)

Knoxville, TN

Good to see you Ms. V! East Tennessee is not the same without you!

Hopefully, someone in the know will clue me in.

Nashville, TN(Zone 6b)

Hi Meltn, How did the flowers work out on your plant. Mine is setting buds now. I hadn't even thought about removing them until I saw your post. Did yours make pitchers after it bloomed?

Betty

Knoxville, TN

Hey Betty,
Nice to see you again! I left the blooms and all it appeared to do was stress the plant. Next time, I will cut them off!
Mel

Although blooms do tend to stress Venus Fly Traps as well as some CPs that have recently been transplanted, I have not experienced them stressing Neps. Aside from that, there's not much energy to conserve once a plant has shot up a flower scape. I'd leave them be and enjoy them. It's great that your plant bloomed for you. Generally that is a sign that a plant has been well cared for. Sometimes it is a sign the plant is on its last leg and is redirecting all of its energy to reproduction but by the looks of meltn's plant photographed above... that's one very happy plant!

Knoxville, TN

Thanks for the great information, Equilibrium! You are one great "Carnivorous Guru"!
It appeared to take longer to develop pitchers after it bloomed, but, I imagine it just needed a rest.
Mel

Sorry, no where near being a carnivorous guru... not even close. I do enjoy them very much though and grow quite a few. What other CPs do you have?

Nashville, TN(Zone 6b)

Hi Mel,
Mine is still blooming. The plant is growing like crazy but not making pitchers. It is so humid in the greenhouse I am wondering if when I get it outside it will start making pitchers again. It has climbed to the top of the GH. Not a big climb, maybe 5 foot from the pot.
Betty

Thumbnail by picabo

Excellent photo!
Excellent photo!
Excellent photo!

Knoxville, TN

Wow, that is a beautiful picture, Betty!

Equilibrium, I am trying my hand at a few Sarracenia hybrids. I was lucky enough to get in on Phils plant sale last year and being a newby, I let Phil select the plants. I kept them alive last winter and now need to get the courage to divide them!

I have a portable cold frame and simply placed it over the Sarracenia garden throughout the winter. I am amazed at how well they did. They never did go completely dormant as I expected.

Lucky you! I can't wait to see photos of what he picked for you! We let him pick for us too!

Now is the time to divide!

Nashville, TN(Zone 6b)

Time for an update on my Nepenthes. Lots of new blooms this spring.
Thought you might like to see some of the pictures. The blooms are surrounded with lots of new pitchers. I guess the flower is to draw insects for the pitchers.

Thumbnail by picabo
Nashville, TN(Zone 6b)

Another photo

Thumbnail by picabo
Nashville, TN(Zone 6b)

The conditions that I keep my Pitcher plants in also suit my orchids. These two have become quite good friends over winter. Both set blooms at the same time and the little pitchers are beginning to hang from the Orchid.

Betty

Thumbnail by picabo

Very Nice! Very Nice indeedie!

Knoxville, TN

BEAUTIFUL Betty! Lovely orchid too!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.