Least Shrew

Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

I was in another forum where people were talking about critters in their yards and thought it would be good to post this here. I was watering with a water wand, sticking the wand's head under the plants to get close to the roots and under the mulch when this little critter came barreling out and ran up a pine tree - came to a stop about 1' up and just hunkered down and hung on. I grabbed the camera and got a couple of shots before he/she ran back in the bushes.

The pictures were not great but good enough to get an ID from the identification forum... The spots on its fur is water...
This creature is called a "Least Shrew". I've never seen one before, did not know we have them in Georgia and certainly did not know they lived in my yard! About 3.5" long.

Nice little critters - they eat slugs and bugs...
http://www.fcps.k12.va.us/StratfordLandingES/Ecology/mpages/least_shrew.htm has better pix

Thumbnail by sterhill
Franklin Springs, GA(Zone 7b)

The pictures are fine and thank you for sharing. I've never seen one either but might have tried to kill it if I had, thinking it was a rat or something. sr

Danielsville, GA(Zone 7b)

You have taken a picture of the most feirst mamal in the world.It eats twice its weight a day in food,(insects etc), has been mentioned in Shakespere,as in the taming of...,meaning it can't be tamed , you may have noticed that it showed no fear of you , I think they are in every state .However,they are far more benificial to have around, than insectisides .Mike

Franklin Springs, GA(Zone 7b)

Sterling, I read the link you provided and he also eats earthworms. I hope he doesn't eat too many of them. We need those composters! sr

Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

It is hard to know what this little guy is doing - I have not seen it again. I would never have even known it was there but for the watering incident...

But I do see lots of earthworms every time I dig so maybe it is going after the slugs. I have a lot of hostas I put into my 'new' shade garden and I've not seen a single slug this year.

I sprayed the rabbit-proof stuff again as my beautiful variegated kerria was cut down to about 8" tall. :( I never see the rabbit so I can only assume that is what ate it. It got my toad lilies last year and I am spraying those too. Some critters I could do without.

Danielsville, GA(Zone 7b)

I have never heard of the shrew eating any vegitation,but not sure, but I do know when it comes to worms or slugs,it takes the slug every time.I'll have to check on the plant eating, does anyone know? Mike

Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

oh I don't think it is the shrew - I believe it is a wild rabbit. My neighbor says she has seen them in her yard.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.