poison ivy

Front Royal, VA

Has anyone found a good poison ivy cure? Has anyon ever tried using jewel weed?how do YOU irradicte it from your gardens? I find myself in almost a constant state of itchiness since I started working outside. I've been trying to remeber to use the prevention lotion-Ivy Block-but usually don't. I wash after known exposure with Technu soap, but even tho it probably helps, it doesn't completely work for me. Just wondering if anyone has the same problem with being very allergic, and if you might have any good remedies. also, do you think it is possible to develop an immunity to it? I'm out working in the woods almost every day.

Peterstown, WV(Zone 6a)

stripetail, I am alergic as well, but I get right out there and pull it up by the roots! I live on an acre of woods and have it growing everwhere! I use kevlar gloves and a long sleeved shirt; I cover every part that I can possibly can. I have found that if you wash your exposed parts with COLD, soapy water after messin' with the ivy, you'll be just fine. The cold water is key; it keeps your pours from opening up ~ thus not letting in the poison. Try it & see if that works for you. Good luck.

Front Royal, VA

I like your warrior mentality. I've been given advice to use super Hot water too. My husband says cold water. I think the cold water makes more sense. When I used the super hot water it just made it itch like the dickens. Even tho I pull it out at work, I'm still shying away from ripping it out of the corner of my yard. That is like the last frontier in my yard. There are woody stems in here that look like they've been gowing for fifty years. I keep blasting them with roundup poison ivy and brush killer, but they must have put out many many runners under the ground. I'll just have to put on the armor and attack!!

Adamstown, MD(Zone 6b)

I agree with the cold water. Also I have found that Poison Ivy Soap made by Burts Bees works better than Tecnu and some of the other washes. If I do get a spot of poison ivy, I wash it twice a day with the BB soap before I put any topical anti-itch on it and it seems to help prevent spreading and dry out what is there. Wish there was some magic way to zap it out of the yard but it just keeps on coming back . . . .

Frederick, MD(Zone 6a)

There have been a lot of posts on DG about cures for Poison Ivy and I've always hesitated to say we've found it ;) But honestly, we have. We cleared brush from our present fence line 6 years ago and were in constant contact with PI. Now that we're building a new home, we face the same thing. Both DH and I are extremely susceptible to PI and it affects me really badly :( I went so far 6 years ago to having to be put on prednisone - yuk!!!

Anyhoooooo....it's not cheap but it works instantly or in at least 6 hours and I'm not kidding. It's now sold at CVS pharmacies where we used to have to order it direct. The testimonials on the left hand side of the site are true - no joke! We keep 2 tubes on hand at all times and it has never ever failed us. Every single person and Dr. we've recommended it to have the same opinion.

www.zanfel.com

And no, it's nothing like Tecnu - never worked for us.

Dea

Linden, VA(Zone 6a)

I, too, pull it out in droves, given 4 acres of woods that we like to play in. If I'm not wearing gloves when I happen to see some, I am sure to wash within 10 minutes in cold water with soap. If there's more to pull, I do the same thing.
Be sure that all clothing goes right into the washer, too, before you wash your skin for the last time, or you'll just have to wash yourself again. I come in and strip at the washer, ut the clothes in, but don't necessarily wash the clothes at that moment. As long as I don't have to touch them again, it's not a problem.
If I'm on a poison ivy project to pull as much as possible, it's the last project of the day, so I don't have other tools to handle afterward. You have to be really religious about not letting the urushiol (poison ivy's irritant) get on anything you'll touch again later. The I be sure to wear long sleeves and pants and2 pairs of rubber gloves. If the gloves break, go get 2 more pair and throw the first away as soon as you're finished with them.
Again, I use the same clothes washing strategy. And then I go shower, cold, which I love on a hot day, but not a lot of fun for some of you, I know.
I've been using this plan for about 5 years now, and have had no problems with break-outs. But you have to be religious about your processes.

Front Royal, VA

I am going to have to go for the Zanfel. It is smart to be so extra careful about the washing and clothing etc.. My problem is that I do weeding etc.. for a living and often am just grabbing and pulling weeds without being too careful. It goes through my pants knees and on my legs just from kneeling on it. Sweat makes it fo right into my skin. The Zanfel will be well worth a try. I'll look for the Burts Bee's too. Last year I had to go through the prednezone thing. YUCK! I'm determined never to have to do that again. Thanks for the tips.

Shenandoah Valley, VA

Dea, thanks for the info on Zanfel! I think the biggest problem with Technu is you have to use it within minutes of being exposed, which isn't always possible.

Shenandoah Valley, VA

Oh, my gosh. Just saw the price. $39.99!!!!!!!!!!! (Somebody please pick me up off the floor.)

For that price, it had better cure poison ivy, do my ironing, walk the dog and wash the windows. LOL

Front Royal, VA

Well, I guess you will be getting a testimonial from me....I just woke up with Zanafel on my mind aftert trying not to scratch all night long. Last summer I estimated that I had spent over 200.00 trying to cure a case of the ivy. Started with the the cheap remedies then worked my way up to paying for the doctor's visit , the shot , and then the prednizone. Me on steroids was not a pretty thing! I will let you all know if this Zanafel works. I'm picking some up on the way to church.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6a)

Good luck and follow the instructions very carefully - sure hope it works for you like it has for us!

Dea

Shenandoah Valley, VA

Good point on the cost, stripetail. And I'll bet a tube lasts forever.

Front Royal, VA

Well, so far so good. I picked it up and applied it after I got home at about 1:30 . It has stopped the itch and looks like it is drying it up. The benefit of that stuff is that it has little granules that give you a real good scratch while applying it. I'll probably do it again for good measure before I go to bed tonight. There looks like what might be a CVS knock off for about half the price. I went for the Zanfel tho. As far as the tube lasting for a long time...depends on how often you get poison ivy! The tube is kind of small. Only 1oz.. The best part is that it is safe to use on all parts of your body, even the nooks and crannies.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6a)

You're right to use it again before bedtime - tomorrow you'll be a new person!!

Nooks and crannies are right - a friend had it in some unpleasant places and worked like a charm :) Haven't tried the knock-off brand - when you're scratching yourself til you're insane, I'll gladly pay the price for not going to the doc's and being shot up with steroids !!

Dea

Front Royal, VA

Thanks again for the tip on the Zanfel, Dea. This could be just what I've been searching for. Stripetail

Ellicott City, MD(Zone 7a)

Dea, thanks SO much for the information on "Zanfel"! I'm going out tomorrow and buy a tube, because I've already had poison ivy out breaks 4-5 times this Summer! I'm so allergic to that nasty weed. I look at it and start itching! I've been using Technu for the past several years.

I hate to use "Roundup" to erradicate Poison Ivy, especially with a dog in my yard. Is there any other product on the market that kills that evil vine?

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Gonna definately write that name down!!!

Frederick, MD(Zone 6a)

How's it today Stripetail? Sure hope it's better !!

Dea

Front Royal, VA

Dea, I'm still bit itchy, but the Zanfel is helping alot. I got alot more poison ivy than I thought. I used it last night and it didn't itch all night. Unfortunately my job keeps me in poison ivy right now. I'm going to deduct all these poison ivy medicines off my taxes!

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Oh I'd be claiming Workmen's Compensation!! Esp. if I missed any sleep!! LOL

Collegeville, PA

I am very allergic to PI but still work at keeping it out of the yard. I've found a couple of things very helpful. After pulling the PI out of the yard (the only way to eradicate), get out of those clothes and gloves, throw them into the laundry w/ cold water. Wash your hands/arms with cold water and bleach. Yes, I know it stinks, but it is VERY effective. If a spot of PI does appear on my arms (as it did yesterday), get a sterile exacto knife, carefully slice the spot(s) open and pour in bleach. Yes, it burns, but the PI dries up w/i a couple of hours. and the knife doesn't scar my hands/arms at all (fair skin, blue eyes, Polish).

Shenandoah Valley, VA

It is extremely NOT recommended that you use bleach on poison ivy.

"Does bleach remove the urushiol oil or help heal the rash?
No. Bleach may appear to be a quick fix to a poison oak or poison ivy rash. However, bleach removes the top layer(s) of your skin. Using it can irritate your skin and in the process weaken it so that the rash may become worse, or it could lead to an infection. Your skin may then become more sensitive to getting the rash in the future."

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

hart,
Could've used your knowledge many years ago...I listened to everyone's suggestions and tried them all...it was simply awful!! Won't gross everyone out...but only thing the bleach did was make it not itch for a few moments....UGH, the pain!!!

Front Royal, VA

I did try the bleach thing once too, at the suggestion of a freind. It did not work for me. I think the main thing about the poison ivy is to get as much of that oil off your skin as quick as possible, and try not to grind it into your knees etc.. I'm STILL healing from the last bout. It's like it gets so deep in the skin I cannot get it out. Also... Do not make the mistake of shaving your legs if you have it there at all....YIKES!!!

Shenandoah Valley, VA

You really don't want to open up those blisters either. That will just make the poison ivy spread.

For goodness sakes don't anyone ever believe the old wive's tale about bleach.

If it's more than a few minutes since you were exposed, you can't wash the oil off with anything. At that point all you can do is use something to treat the rash.

One option if you're really miserable and having a hard time getting rid of it is to go to a doctor and get a prescription for a stronger cortisone than is sold over the counter. Elocon is what the doc prescribed for my guy the last time he had a killer bout with PI and it cleared it up really fast. Helped immensely with the itching too.

Front Royal, VA

I always ask myself the same questions about poison ivy as I do about mosquitoes...What good are you? ...and...Why do you even exist?

Shenandoah Valley, VA

My thought on mosquitoes is that we should train the Japanese beetles to eat the mosquitoes. So there. Next problem.

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Don't even say the cursed word Japanese beetles nasty little helmet heads!!! Wondering why they quit chowing down on my rose bush...then figured it out...my Coral Bells...UGH!!! I truly dislike those rotten things!!! And whatever the gray nasty looking little things that have been munching away at my coneflowers!!! Annoys me to no end!!!

Sterling, VA(Zone 6b)

Poison Ivy...glossy spring time foliage, berries for wildlife, and handsome red fall color! What is not to like about this wonderful native plant? ;-)

- Brent

Shenandoah Valley, VA

Okay, everyone, box up your poison ivy and send it to Brent for his native plant garden. LOL

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Brent,
Where ya been? How's that house selling going...not sure if you've moved yet or not.
Be happy to send you some of the lovely stuff!! LOL

Frederick, MD(Zone 6a)

I can see it now - the Mid-Atlantic PI Co-Op ;) We will pay you to take our cuttings, wear rubber gloves upon opening - lol :)

Shenandoah Valley, VA

Finally a coop I can afford. LOL

Sterling, VA(Zone 6b)

You are a generous bunch but I think I will pass on the offers for free Poison Ivy! I have moved to my new house, though I have not sold my old house. Despite moving into a suburban neighborhood full of manicured lawns, I have had to battle with two patches of PI. One had grown 10' up into a birch tree.

I can remember sitting in a meeting a few years ago after a bout with PI. I had a bunch of nasty looking sores on my forearms. I could not sit my arms on the table or my lap because that irritated the rash. The most comfortable position was with my hands behind my head, but then my oozing rash was on display for everybody.

- Brent

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

UGH!! Not good choices eh?

Winchester, VA(Zone 6b)

stripetail

go to the store and buy this product

http://www.vitacost.com/HylandsPoisonIvyOak

It will clear up the problem and if you take it BEFORE you are exposed then you will not get it.

I was married a long time ago to a man who was not from this region. He was highly allergic to poison ivy and got it most anytime he was in the yard - he had it 4 years with all the spreading and oozing. It was really miserable. Finally he discovered this and it worked very quickly.

I took a party of people into the virginia mountains on a hike - passed out these before we left and not one got poison ivy. I have used it for years - and don't get it. I am careful to avoid handling it. If I find some I take a long handled loppers and cut and pull it out and place it in an old cat litter container with a lid.

Front Royal, VA

I had never seen that product although I am familiar with their Calm's forte'. I will have to look for this. It would be worth a try. I continue to get spots here and there. It has been a great year for poison ivy. Terrible year for my arms and legs!I'm posting a new question for a new problem, so I hope you all might be able to help me with that. Thanks!--Stripetail

On the banks of the , VA(Zone 7a)

I have had good results with Technu. I *think* it's a fancied up jewel weed lotion. You can buy it in a lot of pharmacies, I've even seen it in WalMart once when I was driven to look for it there.

I've never tried the Hylands stuff other than the teething tablets.

Braselton, GA

hey all - I'm new here, from down in Georgia. 2 weekends ago I was exposed to poison ivy while hiking to a waterfall in the woods. After I got back to the campsite, I rinsed off in the creek, and thought that was it. 2 days later the first spot appeared. Here it is over two weeks later and it's still popping up! I've used Tecnu 1-2 times a day, almost every day, been putting on caladryl 3+ times a day on the spots, washed EVERYTHING I have in hot water 3+ times, I've been wearing pants to keep it from spreading, but somehow it still is! I'm so frustrated and tried everything I could! Anyone have any other advise? How about on washing clothes? I was told hot water, but not so sure it's working so great.

Thanks in advance everyone!

Shenandoah Valley, VA

You have to use Technu within a few minutes of being exposed, finfteen minutes maybe? Otherwise it doesn't work.

There was an interesting response about the Zanfel and Technu in another forum, someone who is an internist who said the ingredients in Zanfel are an oxidizing agent like those used in spermicides and scrubbing granules and other cleansing agents. Nothing that would do anything for itching. (I'm paraphrasing. I'll have to see if I can find what forum this was in so you all can read it for yourselves.)

If it's continuing to spread, you should see a doctor and get a prescription cortisone. Meanwhile, I think the over the counter hydrocortisone might help a bit more than Caladryl.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.