Experiment with Messenger

Orange Springs, FL(Zone 9a)

I bought & used Messenger 2 weeks ago. I applied it to one plant & not the other. Both plants are the same & in the same potting mix as well as container. I bought Messenger & decided to use these 2 plants to see what happens. The one with Messenger has truer green leaves, fuller & larger leaves. The one with out has smaller , less full & different green to the leaves. This is all after 2 weeks.

Thumbnail by DoSaye
(Tammie) Odessa, TX(Zone 7b)

Hey DoSaye, have you done any more experimenting since this last year? I would love to see yours and others results using messenger. I just bought some but don't have any similar plants to use for comparison.

Tammie

Boxford, MA(Zone 6a)

I just purchase some packets of Messenger and am considering spraying my awakening dahlia tubers with it. Does it make any sense to apply this to semi-dormant tubers?

I have many container-sized dahlias, and 2 sets of 12 of the same cultivar: Bluesette and Purple Haze. This would be a good opportunity to do an experiment.

-Melissa

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

I think Messenger works best when used as a foliar spray, so spraying it on tubers probably won't do much. It shouldn't hurt them though, but it'll do the most good once the plant has leafed out.

Toledo, OH(Zone 5b)

Just a thought Melissa, they sell messenger for seeds in powderform, it seems to help my seed germination, why not try it and see. It makes sense to me if you can use it on seeds why not tubers and rhizoms.
Dan

Cordele, GA(Zone 8a)

Good point, Dan. I just received some Caladium bulbs. Wonder if the seed puff stuff would work on these tubers?

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7a)

I think they are reformulating MightyPlant fertilizer but it had some of the harpin protein in it that is the main thing Messenger is. If you have any, you could water with it until the leaves appear then treat with the Messenger spray. The powder "puff" stuff probably couldn't hurt.

Hey all,
The Messenger made an obvious difference. I have since been using Spray n Grow which also works.
Shellie

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

We're always glad to know of products that work. Thanks.

Delhi, IA

I used it on my roses, dahlias, tomatoes____well most everything last summer. Sprayed the foliage several times over the summer of 2006. No disease on the roses at all. I accidently got some on a hosta and it didn't like it. But I have heard folks say it didn't hurt their hostas.

Jam,
I never tried it on Hostas I think I'd like to see other take on this before I do.
Hate to hurt my hostas

Poughkeepsie, NY(Zone 6a)

No problem on my hosta yet. Need more time to judge the effectiveness of it but so far so good!

Tom

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

I can't imagine how it would do anything bad to hostas when it's fine to use on other plants, I have a feeling any hosta damage was probably caused by something else that coincidentally happened around the same time as Messenger use. A couple years ago I thought it had hurt my Chamaedorea (parlor palm), I sprayed it along with my other plants and within a week the leaves were looking not very happy and I assumed that Messenger had caused it, turns out it was spider mites instead (that was my first experience with spider mites, I didn't know what their damage looked like before that). The only way I could see Messenger causing damage would be if you live in a humid climate and you spray it in the evening--that will have the same effect as evening watering and can create a breeding ground for fungus when the leaves don't dry out quickly. But that's really the water causing the problem, not the Messenger.

Anyone try it yet on carnivorous plants?

Tom

Thomson, GA

I sprayed some on a philodendron and the leaves turned all wilty and the plant didn't make it. That's the only thing I have seen that it didn't like.

Whitsett, NC(Zone 8a)

Silly question . . . what is messenger?

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

guardians--I doubt it was the Messenger that made your plant wilt, I have a feeling it was something else that coincidentally happened at the same time (like how I initially blamed it for what turned out to be spider mites on my parlor palm).

Syrumani--it's a plant hormone that acts as an immune booster for plants, makes them stronger, better flowering, etc. Supposedly at least, I think there are differing opinions out there as far as how well it actually works. Here's a description of what it does from the manufacturer: http://www.edenbio.com/garden/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=33&Itemid=48

Whitsett, NC(Zone 8a)

I'll have to check it out. Thanks!

So far it's made a HUGE difference on tomatoes. No yellowing at all! Green as green can be foliage! Rose bush looks great as well with LOT of roses this year. So far SO good! trying it on a small Venus fly trap currently.

Tom

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.