Ugh... homemade compost bin constantly soggy on the bottom..

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

I made my own compost bin from one of those big, outdoor plastic trash cans (same size as the one you put out on the curb for pick up), and drilled a ton of 1/2-3/4" holes on the bottom & all around the sides. I've had this going for about a month & a half now, and though it is decomposing (at a somewhat slower rate, as I have no shredder), it seems to always get compacted & soggy in the bottom 1/3 of the pile.

I know this, because I've had to empty it all out and layer it back in several times - can't mix the bottom well unless I do that! I've got a pretty good amount of grass clippings (though I think I've done a decent job of balancing with dried leaves/other browns as well) that I notice clum up on the very bottom, blocking some of the drainage holes. I have two tons of pine needles/cones everywhere in my yard, on the driveway, in the street, etc... I was thinking of throwing a layer of cones on the bottom of the bin, topped with a pine needle "screen" to help alleviate the drainage problem - any reason why this shouldn't work out? BTW, I'm not necessarily looking for the needles/cones to be added to the final compost (they decompose too slowly), just want better drainage in the bin!

Kelly

Lumberton, TX(Zone 8b)

You might try setting it up on bricks so it can drain. Or remove the bottom entirely so the worms can get at it.

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

I've already got it up on a cinderblock - I think the problem has more to do with the drainage holes getting clogged from the inside, rather than water being able to pass out the bottom... I have some kind of worms/bugs in there - grub-looking fat worms (?) ... maybe sowbugs?

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

cut out large squares in varied areas of the can and place rabbit screen inside it and fix it with liquid nails. Lots of Oxygen and good drainage.

Lumberton, TX(Zone 8b)

Maybe add some more browns -- leaves, pine needles, newspaper. It helped my barrel type stop being stinky.

Ronkonkoma, NY(Zone 6b)

Two things I would suggest - shredding the leaves is key - whole leaves block water like mad, and when you have a whole bunch together the form an almost unpenetrable layer and they prevent the water from draining through, waterlog the whole pile, and slow down decomposition.
Secondly, scrap the trash can all together if you can. You want to get as much air as possible into the pile. So if you can, just make it an open pile, or if you have to contain it, make a square of cylinder out of fence. You want the air to get in.
Just some suggestions. :-)

Lilburn, GA(Zone 7b)

Just a reminder, shredded newspaper is an excellent brown carbon to add in with the greens when you don't have any leaves.

Looking for a great way to produce plant loving compost without back breaking work? [HYPERLINK@paulgadawg.turnwill2.hop.clickbank.net]

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.