Anybody know the name of these Beetles

Celaya, Mexico(Zone 10a)

Caught in the act while doing my nature scare walk out in the woods (there's no privacy in this world LOL).
Seems that shelf mushrooms are host to their larvae.

Picture makes them look large but they are only about 1/2" long

Thumbnail by PanamonCreel
Celaya, Mexico(Zone 10a)

Dooooh! Posted it and right after found their name.

Horned Fungus Beetle (couldn't be any easier :) Bolitotherus cornutus

Griffin, GA(Zone 8a)

Great picture - and isn't it nice when their name goes along with their appearance and habits.

The Woodlands, TX(Zone 9a)

What a great photo! Only 1/2 inch? Wow.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

they sure would NOT win a beauty contest!!!

NW Qtr, AR(Zone 6a)

The one on the top of the heap .. looks like he's made of rusting iron!

Very nice pic, PC ..

- Magpye

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

What NERVE!!!! ;) It sure looks like he's standing ON TOP of his poor laboring mate to oversee the egg laying process better.

As already mentioned above *amazing* pic Milan.......the type you'd see in a National Geographic magazine. I hope you will enter it in the bug section of the next DG photo contest.

NW Qtr, AR(Zone 6a)

Geezers, Lilypon ..
Glad you mentioned the 'egg laying'!
My dadburned eyesight seems to be getting worse by the day. For I sure as the dickens missed that aspect (in) the photo: even with PC mentioning the larvae in his initial post!
.. LOL ..

- Magpye

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

I didn't catch it on the first glance either Magpye.....I don't think there's anything wrong with our eyes. We just assume they are up to something else (he also said there is no privacy in this world). They are so unique looking I had to take a 2nd glance and then the larvae part made sense. ;)

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

Obviously a young male being that he doesn't know which end is which. Quite cute little buggers.

Celaya, Mexico(Zone 10a)

Well either he's is giving targeting information to the "wife" for egg laying or maybe she posed the question if her "buttocks look big" and he'd to take a look :) (didn't stick around when he gave the answer and the possible fight or silent treatment that occured thereafter)

The picture is okay but to me not good enough for publishing.

Phoenix, MD(Zone 7a)

well that is by far the absolute UGLIEST bug I have ever seen!!!!!!!!!! great shot ewwwwwwwwwwwww

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

Sofer my first thought was to name him *Wrong Way Charlie*.

LOLOLOL Milan obviously you've chosen to answer in the affirmative before. Bet the couch looked pretty good after. ;)

Picky, picky, picky. I'd be doing cartwheels if I had gotten a shot like that.

NW Qtr, AR(Zone 6a)

Ahh, Milan ... don't go a thankin' that we don't feel that head of yorn a swellin' here in cyberspace. (merely luvinly teasin' you, Milan!)
As well; it truly should!! Many pats on the back and with more applause to/for you.

We hope that you'll at least consider contacting some of the 'bug' sites and offer that one up, for publishing .. for identification purposes. C'mon now .. take your well deserved bows, sir!

- Magpye

This message was edited Jul 19, 2006 10:56 AM

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

How many horny ooops horned beetles get captured in such a way. The miracle of life beginning. Send it in Milan.

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

LOLOLOLOL @ your oooooooooops Sofer! ;)

Celaya, Mexico(Zone 10a)

LOL Sofer.

I'm my worst critic you know. ;)

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

You are a talented photographer and let someone else criticise you work. It then won't be any surprise when they don't like it. But I expect you to be surprised and learn your talents. Quiet that person in your head and throw them (it) away.

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

I agree Steve! :)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.