DOES ANYONE KNOW ABOUT PERENNIAL SWEET PEA?

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Mine finally bloomed after 2 - 3 years of gradually taking over the garden!

Thumbnail by carrielamont
Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Now I need to know how to send it, with or without foliage? How long will it bloom? How will it do with the stress of a trip? Do these guys do ok as cut flowers? When will they breed one with a fragrance?

Thanx! xxxxx,
Carrie

Thumbnail by carrielamont
Winnipeg, MB(Zone 4a)

Carrie, it is to bad that the perennial one doesn't have a smell. But I think the blooms last longer and remind me of what a corkscrew vine flower could look like..lol. I had this Sweet Pea at a different spot and it didn't do anything so a couple of years ago I moved it. It luvs this location. It probably is better to move the plant when it is a small. When I moved mine it was in the Spring. When you send, maybe cut it back but definitely leave the foliage on. I hope this somewhat helped.
:) Donna

Thumbnail by PerennialGirl
Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Yeah, somewhat! LOL. The best advice I've had so far! Yours are prettier; mine are overwhelmed by foliage, voracious foliage. And there are none of the subtle color things that make sweet peas so nice!

I don't have to send until Tuesday.

xxxx, Carrie

Denver, CO

Send them as seeds, if you mean shipping them. Direct sown plants are by far preferable.
There is a semi-perennial one (short lived perennial, but seedlings will replace it), a bicolor of awesome fragrance called 'Matucana.'
K. James

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

This I have to look up. It freezes in the winter here, you know. Perennial for whom?

xxxxx, carrie

Denver, CO

Perennial here, but a friend had it in z5, I think.
It is usually listed as annual, but just try pulling out it's taproots! Mulch will, of course, help tremendously. Direct sown is by far best.
http://www.seedsavers.org/prodinfo.asp?number=1101
Ask me in a couple weeks, I should have seeds.
K

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 4a)

I live in Zone 4 and it survives with no problems. Mine is also making seeds to.
:) Donna

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

When I lived in southwest Michigan (I forget whether zone 5 a or b), I had no problems growing these. They came back each year, smelled slightly sweet, and made excellent cut flowers. I purchased them from a local nursery there in quart or maybe 4 inch containers. I think I started with six, and when we moved 3 years later, they filled a spot about 4'x4'.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.