Summer Lettuce in the Mid-south

Acton, TN(Zone 7a)

Any one have any luck growing summer lettuce in the Mid-south? I'm trying some heat resistant varieties under an arched bean trellis:

Thumbnail by jozeeben
Acton, TN(Zone 7a)

. . . and some more under 50% shade cloth:

Thumbnail by jozeeben
Pocahontas, TN(Zone 7b)

All I've done so far is think about it. You will have to keep us updated.

Welcome to the Mid-South Gardening Forum. We hope to see you here often.

Judy

Murfreesboro, TN(Zone 7a)

Ditto what judy said ;o) Yours looks really healthy - please keep us posted! (I've got plans to start some in late August for fall cropping, but I've never had the gumption to actually create a trellis or shade cloth frame to try it in the summer.

What varieties are you planting?

Acton, TN(Zone 7a)

For summer I'm trying Sierra, All Season Romaine (Cos Mix from Cooks), Black-seeded simpson, and Redsails. Also, We've been saving seeds from winter plantings so I have Oakleaf, buttercrunch, speckles, merlot, Granpa's admires, red romaine, and lot's of unknowns (Johnny's wild fire mix, Territorial Seeds mesclun, etc. but they're mostly cold hardy (survived the winter under row cover!) and some seem to bolt quick in the heat (buttercrunch). Here's a picture of the wintermix planted in spring as it started to bolt -- it has spinach & beets mixed in.

Thumbnail by jozeeben
Acton, TN(Zone 7a)

And here's the winter planting gone to seed intercroped with green onions (peppers already added as a succession planting).

Thumbnail by jozeeben

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.