Thumbnail by pegdog
Winchester, VA(Zone 6a)

YUMMMMMMY soon!

Thumbnail by pegdog
Winchester, VA(Zone 6a)

Cukes are great!

Thumbnail by pegdog
Acton, TN(Zone 7a)

The mexican bean beattles & squash bugs here love them to death! We loss all our zukes and cukes except for one each. Thanks goodness they're so prolific or we'd be buying them from the store. I replanted cukes, zukes and winter squash with insect barrier to see if we can get a better yield.

Thumbnail by jozeeben
Acton, TN(Zone 7a)

But the edible gourds get to fend for themselves because they seem more resistant. (Oh -- I forgot to mention the evil squash vine borers...). If this doesn't work we'll have to give it up or go with the harsh chemicals. Is organic possible in the south?

The gourd below has big white flowers that open in the evening & morning but only last a day or two. I can never seem to get good pictures like yours of the blooms.

Thumbnail by jozeeben
Ijamsville, MD(Zone 6b)

We love squash flowers - we love them so much that I picked all the flowers early last year without looking for boys and girls and had to wait longer for zucchini. It was worth it, we made a herbed ricotta to stuff them with and fried in a tempura batter - served with marinara.

Thanks a lot, now I have to go pick some!!!
-Kim

Winchester, VA(Zone 6a)

WOW! Send that recipe on over! I can hardly keep my stomach calm.

Good to know I am not the odd one out here.

Ijamsville, MD(Zone 6b)

Take ricotta, stir in whatever chopped herbs you like, salt and pepper, some grated Parm. Add an egg and mix thouroughly. Carefully stuff into blossoms and place in fridge. They will be easier to coat and fry if they are cold but this is not a neccessary step. Dip into whatever batter you like and fry until light golden.

Try not to burn mouth biting into hot blossom!
-Kim

Santa Cruz, CA(Zone 9a)

you can tempurah squash flowers, its so cool, also lemon sllices taste great..

Franklin, NC(Zone 6b)

You aren't alone. About fifteen years ago I grew a zucchini called "Butterblossom" that was selected for lots of large, edible male flowers. There were several sources back then, but the only one I can find now is Gourmet Gardener. http://www.gourmetgardener.com
The fruit on this variety are a bit of a dissapointment, but then that's not what it's grown for.

Franklin, NC(Zone 6b)

... and YES! Post recipes!

Winchester, VA(Zone 6a)

Awesome, I'll try it this week! Have you tried baking instead of frying? I like low fat.

Recipes, another thread but I don't mind them here either. :)

A great squash dish: thinnly slice zuc, batter in Italian dressing, bread crumbs and parmesean (or your choice), bake at 425 until golden. YUM.

Ijamsville, MD(Zone 6b)

If I was baking them I would put the stuffed blossoms on top of the marinara and bake @ 350 until hot and filling is oozing out a little.

Salem, OR(Zone 8a)

I got this recipe off of another site (Timebomb2000.com), and I'm going to try it this summer.

Squash Puppies

1 cup mashed squash

1 egg

1/2 cup self-rising flour

1/2 cup self-rising cornmeal

1 tsp sugar

1/2 tsp salt

Mix together and drop by teaspoonful into hot oil. Fry. Serve warm. Enjoy!

This message was edited Jul 12, 2006 9:51 AM

This message was edited Jul 12, 2006 9:52 AM

Winchester, VA(Zone 6a)

OOOOOOOOOoooo, you do love to fry! Sounds terrific.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.