fall companions and trap crops

Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

I planted my fall crops in mid-Sept.last year so I could harvest fresh greens all winter but wound up turning under or composting the mustard,turnip and collard greens because the grey aphids were so thick on them it wasn't worth the trouble trying to wash off a sinkfull(bad back.can't stand in one spot long). They cabbages were covered as bad but at least I could peel off leaves until I got down to were there was only a few aphids to wash off.Heaven only knows how many I missed and were consumed(seasoning?...LOL) Question is...what can I plant as trap or companion plants in the winter. I do not spray...PERIOD! Are there benificial insect that are still active in zone 8 during winter?

P

Aurora, CO(Zone 5a)

There are sprays other than bug killer. Have you thought about something like hot pepper wax spray? Seems to be working pretty well for me. I've also heard of boiling garlic and peppers and making a homemade spray from that.

I think lady bugs eat aphids. But I'm not really familiar with zone 8. All my life I've lived in zone 5.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.