Pics of my vegetable garden

AuGres, MI(Zone 5b)

This is my first big garden. It's 30 x 50. We put an 8 foot fence around it to keep out the deer. I planted too much and too close but it's all a learning experience. I just need to find a midget to get in there and harvest for me. :)

We're eating broccoli and onions and radishes and yellow squash now. My foodsaver came in the mail today so I can put a lot of this in the freezer. I'm really enjoying doing something different. I hope we continue to get these frequent rains since I haven't watered this garden once since I planted it.

http://brendas-garden.4mg.com/vgarden106.JPG

http://brendas-garden.4mg.com/vgarden206.JPG

http://brendas-garden.4mg.com/vgarden306.JPG

http://brendas-garden.4mg.com/vgarden506.jpg

Melvindale, MI(Zone 5a)

That's an amazing looking garden. Lucky you!!!! Enjoy.

Glennie, MI(Zone 5a)

Lookin Good.
You will love your food saver.. We have used ours for the last 3 years,and I still am using things sealed from the first year....Aleta

Algonac, MI

Great looking garden, Loon. I know what you mean about planting too many plants into a confined space.
I whacked out an 8-1/2 X 5-1/2 away from my 30' diameter "other" garden to plant tomatoes and peppers in. I have 7 tomato and 11 pepper plants crowding the space.
I am seriously thinking about trying to transplant every other one to my larger garden. Is this a wise endeavor for me to take? All of the plants are gorgeous...for now, but they are really crowding each other.
What is your opinion as to my transplanting every other one?
Thanks.

LostIndian

AuGres, MI(Zone 5b)

Hi,

I really don't know about transplanting the peppers right now. It might set them back a bit if they've already set fruit. I'm new to veggie gardening though. Peppers are a pretty upright plant so unless they are really on top of each other I think they'd be OK. You might want to make sure they get a little extra watering or fertilizer.

I pulled out all my broccoli plants to give the other things more room to grow. We harvested about 50 heads of broccoli which I used the new vacuum sealer on and got into the freezer. The only surprise for me was having to pick up these little wormy looking things from the broccoli. They came up in the water when I was blanching them. Since I'm raising my garden organically and have used no pesticides I guess that is expected. They weren't hard to get rid of just kind of gross to pick out. They sure were pretty heads. I could have left them and they would have produced side shoots I guess but I have enough broccoli for us now.

I'm picking tons of yellow squash daily. We love it though and so far we're eating and freezing it. It will keep producing for a while. Got a few zucchini out of the garden today and some ripe cherry tomatoes. I hope we continue to get some rain since my garden is so far from the house I can't water it.

Melvindale, MI(Zone 5a)

Wow Loon, you must have planted early. My squash hasn't even got blooms yet.

AuGres, MI(Zone 5b)

I planted right after our last hard freeze in May. I looked at accuweather online and they forecast for two weeks ahead of time and all the nighttime temps were above 40 so I went ahead and planted. I didn't write down when but I think it was mid May??

I have squash coming out of my ears. :) I froze a bunch of it in slices after vacuum sealing it for soups this winter. I'm making fried squash daily and printed out a bunch of different squash recipes. I put up about 50 heads of broccoli in the freezer and pulled all the plants out so the other things will have more room to grow. I ate a few cherry tomatoes off the vine yesterday so they'll all be coming in soon and I have little green beans on my bushes and lots of blooms. I want to put up all the green beans. I pulled three zucchini today too. I am going to make some nut bread out of that and freeze it.

I have a brand new granddaughter and want to make baby food for her. I didn't use any chemicals on the veggies so it will be safe for the baby and for us too. I can't wait till she's old enough to help me plant seeds.

Au Gres, MI(Zone 5a)

HI Brenda

Your garden is beautiful.......IF you have too much produce, why don't you sell it up at the Farmers market in Tawas....just a thought.

How is your new granddaughter doing?? Amazing we only live 10 miles apart, and I just can not seem to get up there to visit you.....Gonna do it soon....I promise.

Deann

AuGres, MI(Zone 5b)

Hi Deann,

Good to hear from you. I'll keep the farmer's market idea in mind but for now I'm using the foodsaver and trying to freeze what I can and we're eating squash every day. :) I copied down a bunch of new recipes. Good thing we like squash a lot. Ha!

Stacey is doing good. She's six weeks old today. We're going to Tawas for her mama's six week checkup and some shopping. Carters closed so we're going to Walmart. I have to refill some meds for mom while we're there too. We've taken to carpooling for combined errands since gas has gone so high. David is doing good with his plumbing business and is staying busy.

I'll come visit you one of these days too. Stop by when you can. Chat later,

Brenda

Houston, United States(Zone 9b)

Wow, nice garden! I didn't realize you could plant things sooo close to one another? How do you harvest...just not worry about stepping on the plants of some?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.