Why does my sansevieria lie down?

Central FL, FL(Zone 9b)

I've had a sansevieria for around 15 years in a pot on my porch. It grows nice and tall; but after awhile, it lies down on the job...literally. If I prop it back up, it stays upright for a short while then becomes horizontal again. I think it's bloomed only once in all this time, but it puts out new growth every summer. Could it be lying down because I have it in a rather shallow pot? I thought about planting it in the garden to see what would happen, but I've read in PlantFiles that it spreads more than I'd want it to. I'm attached to this plant because I've had it so long, and I'd like to see it looking nicer. Any remedy for this "lazy" plant?

Deep East Texas, TX(Zone 8a)

Bivbiv, I don't know for sure but read that they will do that if overwatered. Do you keep it really really dry

Central FL, FL(Zone 9b)

Bingo! I water it generously once a week, so it's not really, really dry. Should it be every other week? Even less frequently? Would it be better to remove the flopped over ones altogether, or do you think they might stay erect if staked up and the water is cut back? Thanks so much for the information.

It's such a striking looking arrangement (or would be) the way I have it displayed in a vignette with a 42" tall Mexican pot next to it and a large peacock chair.

Deep East Texas, TX(Zone 8a)

Good Morning Bivbiv! I'm guessing even less frequently. To start, I'd wouldn't remove them. I think when they dry out they'll stand upright. Is is out where it will get rain? If so, I'd protect it from more rain. We're pretty humid here and you are probably more so. I don't think it should need water very often at all. You will just have to experiment with it. They are pretty forgiving.... and pretty... Good luck and let me know!

East Texas, United States(Zone 8a)

I rely 100% on nature. I do not water my potted sans AT ALL! And if it turns out that we're in for an extended rain spell, I move the pots away from the rain or put a tarp over them.

My sans. grow like crazy.

Central FL, FL(Zone 9b)

Thanks so much for the advice! These are on a covered porch and never receive rain (except when it blew in during a hurricane). Well, it looks like I've been overwatering for 15 years without killing them, so I guess they are indeed pretty hardy and forgiving. I'll let you know if they start standing at attention instead of lying down on the job. I'll see what a little benign neglect does. Thanks again.

Mississauga, ON(Zone 6a)

My understanding is water them when they are dry. Everyone has different conditions.

They will tolerate some drought, so based on that take it from there.

Good luck

Joan

Central FL, FL(Zone 9b)

Thanks, Joan. I think the atmosphere may be so humid right now they can live off that! About time, though. We've had a bad drought this spring.

Mississauga, ON(Zone 6a)

Maybe the drought led to you overwatering. Under those circumstance you tend to think everything needs more water.

Maybe you can share a picture of your sansevieria.

Joan

Central FL, FL(Zone 9b)

Nope, not the drought. I've been watering weekly for about 15 years. I'll see if I can get a good photo when the light's right.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.