My first hydrangea purchase

Monroe, WA

Hello everyone! This is my first post so I hope you'll bear with me :-)

I purchased 3 hydrangeas last week. They didn't have names so I was hoping someone will tell me the names of it so I'll know how to take care of them. Two of them (Dark pink and blue/lavender) were in a 4 in. pot and 1 was in a gallon pot. I want to repot them and put them in a nicer and bigger pot. My question is (other than the names), how big of a container should I put them in?

Here's the dark pink one.

Thanks

Thumbnail by aelana
Monroe, WA

Hydrangea #2

Thumbnail by aelana
Monroe, WA

Hydrangea #3

Thumbnail by aelana

Those are lovely! It will be very hard to id them because of the variability of color due to soil ph. Hydrangeas can do well in pots, just put them in a big enough pot to hold it for a few years, unless you will be putting them in the ground. Some florist hydrangeas end up doing well in the ground, others don't. I bought several on clearance at Molbaks last year, and two are doing really nicely and growing into full sized shrubs. The other one is still really small and I don't know if it will do much. Worth the chance, however.
One thing you might consider is using potting soil that has the water crystals in it. That will help keep the soil from drying out.

Pearl River, LA

aelana....I loved you pic of the red one....I did not even know there was a red Hydrangea see how we learn here....welcome shirleyt

Monroe, WA

Thanks for the replies, Pixydish and Shirleyt! I actually bought them in Molbaks. I've transplanted them into bigger pots and I hope they'll do well. Shirleyt, the flowers are more fuschia pink. By the looks of it, I think I have to ammend my soil to maintain the color (add lime, right?).

Aelana

Lake Toxaway, NC(Zone 7a)

I'm going to try to raise a pink one here in our very acid soil. I think it will take a lot of liming as well as my lilac.

Winchester, VA(Zone 6a)

shirelyt, if you like red, research "Lady in Red" - it's a beauty

Parkersburg, WV(Zone 6b)

Aelana--looking at your dark pink/red hydrangea--I'm no hydrangea expert, but I have a Leuchtfeuer (German for lighthouse) hydrangea and the picture of your dark pink hydrangea looks a lot like my Leuchtfeuer. Maybe you could look up Leuchtfeuer and see if you think they're like your dark pink one.

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

aelana - your #2 plant only grows well here in Southold. Feel free to send it when you have time :-)

Beautiful plants. Enjoy!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.