Creative Gardening

Harrisburg, IL(Zone 6a)

I get kinda miffed when a newly purchased article tells you at home that you need to spend more money on more parts. The directions to this strawberry pot said I needed a piece of PVC pipe, capped at the bottom with holes in it. Ostensibly to better water the lower pots?

I voluntered this hollow handled serving spoon for the job instead of going to town again. Shhh, Don't tell my wife. ;-)

Thumbnail by Green_Guido
South Florida, FL(Zone 10b)

I use ice cubes to water my strawberry jars. They work great.

Central FL, FL(Zone 9b)

Yes, the tube down the center is to facilitate watering the "side pockets."
It looks like you found a clever solution without another trip into town (and I promise not to tell your wife). After all, how could I tattle on a fellow Southern Illinoisan? I was born and raised in Harrisburg.

Harrisburg, IL(Zone 6a)

Well, fellow by way of move. We just moved here from Arizona three weeks ago. I was born and raised in East Germany. I tell ya, I'm glad to be back in a climate that resembles "home." The Sonoran Desert is a tough place to live and garden in, if you didn't grow up there...

We just found a great house in Harrisburg and probably are going to move there (living with the in-laws right now). It's a few blocks from the High School on Granger Street, if you know where that is.

Harrisburg, IL(Zone 6a)

Ice cubes sound like a great idea, toy! Wish I would have known that before destroying my wife's kitchenware. 8-)

Central FL, FL(Zone 9b)

Hah, my mother used to live on Granger St.! Until I was four years old, we lived on S. Webster in front of the Junior High School. We sold the house to the school, and they in turn sold it to someone else who moved the house; but I've forgotten the name of the street where it is now. The town square used to be charming, but it suffered the same fate of all town squares. In the middle of the square there was a charming old brick courthouse with a clock tower. Now, as you've doubtless seen, there's something that looks like a fortress in the center with no windows. I think the bank on the corner did a nice job of modernizing without losing personality. If I recall correctly, they have included the old clock in their landscape...a nice touch. People fought for the courthouse to be refurbished. Too bad they lost.

Spring and autumn are beautiful in S. IL, altho' with climate changes it may not be the way it used to be. I hope you'll be happy there.

Harrisburg, IL(Zone 6a)

They moved the house?

We've only been to Harrisburg a few times yet, mostly for shopping. They got an Aldi there (a German discounter with a stigma back home), I was blown away. That's like having a Walmart in Siberia. Really common over here, but kind of surprising in the tundra. You even have to stick a quarter into the cart and bag your own groceries, just like back in the Old World, hehe. I wonder if they're closed weekends.

I don't remember seeing a town square, I'll look for it next time. It's sad that many cities think it better to save a bit on the budget, demolish old buildings and replace them with ugly concrete blocks. Same thing with the house we are buying; the real estate agent didn't really wanted to show it to us. "It needs alot of updates and it's old..." This house as more character in the pantry than a whole street of those cookie cutter stick-built drywall boxes that they sell you for 100k nowadays... You guys wait until I get a chance to take some pictures of the garden!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.