Iris Borer Control?

McGregor, IA(Zone 4b)

Anything besides search and destroy and removing and burning dead foliage and debris that works to control iris borer? Has anyone had success with nematodes or "garden shield"?

I haven't used any chemicals in my garden, and I don't want to start.

Upton, MA(Zone 5b)

I've been waiting to see if anyone replies to your message because I'm interested as well. A huge clump of my iris died from what I think could be iris borer early this spring. What I ended up doing was pulling all the iris out, throwing away the tubors that were rotting (they smelled and looked awful!), cleaned the remaining tubors in a watered down hydrogen peroxide solution and replanting. I also cut back the greens that hadn't died. I did read somewhere online that if you cut down all the greens in the fall the iris borer won't have anywhere to overwinter, so I think I'lll be doing that so it doesn't spread. If you find out anything more please post.

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8b)

Here's an article that may help with early detection before the rhizome damage begins. The use of parasitic nematodes (3rd page of article) could be used for severe infestations. I don't currently have a problem with borers, but will be checking the leaves more often.

http://www.irisgarden.org/borermain.html

Yuska

McGregor, IA(Zone 4b)

Hi, If you go over to the Iris Forum, we have been having a discussion about borers, and there are some websites there in the posts that have good information about it. I am getting a real education! I have ignored this pest for years and wondered why my new irises didn't seem to do very well. (There are some that came with our farm that have grown with little attention for years) Guess they like the fancy gourmet hybrids for a diet - they are a REAL problem this year, and I finally had to pay attention. Or quit growing them!

McGregor, IA(Zone 4b)

Is there anyone here at the organic forum that grows great irises in iris borer territory without using chemicals? I am finding them in ALL of my irises this year - JI's and Siberians also. If I can get all of my irises together in one spot so that I can do the fall and spring cleanup easier that might help.

Shenandoah Valley, VA(Zone 6b)

caitlinsgarden, do you mean *no* chemicals, or are organic controls okay, like Dipel or neem?

McGregor, IA(Zone 4b)

I mean the ones that are harmful to birds, bees, and the nervous system of humans, etc. I like to grow my flowers and veggies together without worry. I don't know anything about dipel and neem.
I know there are lots of natural chemicals that are poisons to various lifeforms, etc. Least harmful is I guess my guidelines.

Shenandoah Valley, VA(Zone 6b)

Okay, gotcha. So, maybe neem yes (directed at one specific pest), but rotenone no. I'm sorry to be no help on this, but I've heard (second hand, mind you) positive things about nematodes controlling the borers at the grub stage. You're very right about natural products being possibly harmful to beneficials.

A really helpful guide for you would be the Peaceful Valley catalog. Not so much for buying things, but for explaining all the options, how they're harmful, how they're not, tables of what works with what pest, etc. (For example, if you're going to spray for cucumber beetles, you should do it after the cuke blooms close in the evening to keep from harming bees.) You should request one. I've referred to mine about fifty times this season alone. It's just a great resource. And I don't work for them. I don't even buy often from them. But I appreciate the info. www.groworganic.com

Good luck!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.