Need some pointers for ANNUAL HIBISCUS...

Bexley, OH(Zone 5b)

I just discovered (and bought) some gorgeous potted annual hibs., which I didnt know existed. I'll be planting them in pots in full sun on my front steps.

If you have experience with these, would you give me some guidance regarding their habits, likes and dislikes, etc... The people where I got them seemed to know very little about them, and so were not very helpful!

Thanks. I'll be grateful for any info. anyone can share!

Polly

Midway, TX(Zone 8b)

I think you will love the hibiscus. Very pretty flower. What colors did you get? I fertilize mine with Miracle Grow liquid plant food. They like lots of sun. Mine like to be moist but not real wet. You can save seeds if you want. Once the blooms are finished and drop off there will eventually be a seed thingy that will appear. Looks sort of like a burr. If I remember correctly the seed is inside the burr.
Lin

Midway, TX(Zone 8b)

My hibiscus are red. I want a white one so bad. My Mother has red and peach colors. The yellows are real pretty too. In our zone 8b they can be left in the ground but it takes so long for them to come up in spring. I just keep mine potted up and over winter them.
You might like to check out the Hibiscus forum. They have pictures of some beautiful ones there.
Lin

Bexley, OH(Zone 5b)

Hi Lin! Thanks for your responses. My pots - I got 3, to replace my leggy pansies - are each a mix of orangey-red, pink, peach, yellow and the lightest is sort of cream. They are so delicate and the colors are gorgeous. Covered with blossoms and buds, too.
I'll watch for the seeds - thanx for the idea. If I get motivated, i'll send you a pic!!
i hope you're lucky enough to find your white one! There were none where i got these.
Take care, Polly

Midway, TX(Zone 8b)

Wow Polly you've got a very good assortment of colors to start off with. ;) You will love them. Winter them over in your garage or house if you have room. Be sure to check out the Hibiscus forum here on DG. They have some beauties! Many different colors.

Please post a pic here! We all love pics. ;)
Lin

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.