As promised...pictures of my garden

Athens, OH

As many of you know, I have been doing deer resistance studies for the past 4 years. So my gardens have consisted of 1 plant of each type with a tag. Location of each plant was mostly based on space availability and light/moisture conditions. Now, I am taking out the plants that I didn't really love/the deer did love, putting the non-resistant plants I loved in the fenced in back garden and buying more of what I love. The result is a bit of chaos! Parts of the garden are ordered and elegant, other parts are riotous jungle, and some parts are just "what was she thinking" combinations of colors.

So here goes....

Our house is on a hill. It is actually sited on the old farm site, so sometimes we find heirloom flowers in the surrounding woods. In the front, I have a L-shaped bed which is ~15' and 30' on on side and 50' on the other. The hedge needs to be trimmed (privet always does]. If you look closely you can see some EE in the foreground and some amaryllis in the background. The hedge in front of the house is rhododredron (shocking fuschia!) and the tree on the right is a wisteria (standard form).

Thumbnail by rox_male
Athens, OH

He is the longer side of the L-shaped bed.
Here are more EE, including the 8' tall A. macrorrihiza, and gaillardia.
In the middle is a baptisia that I adore. It is very tall, about 5 feet, and grows like a tree and has large white blooms. [Baptisia alba var. alba Wayne Co. Form]

Thumbnail by rox_male
Athens, OH

If you continue to the end of the L-shaped bed you will get to our upper driveway. Here there are two smaller gardens. These are next to the neighbors, who we like a lot, so I try to weed and keep it in check.

The baptisia is a yellow form. The pink flowers are lychnis coronaria (I have lots of seedlings. Interested?) On the right you can see the Salvia maynight. In the middle is asclepias balleria. The tall plant is a wild verbascum (about 7 feet tall).

Thumbnail by rox_male
Athens, OH

Here is a view of the same garden from the other end.

The bee balm is Marshall's Delight and is shocking pink/fuschia. One of my favorites.

Thumbnail by rox_male
Athens, OH

This is the lower garden near the neighbor. A bit of a jungle right now. The Lychnis is Gardener's World, a double fuschia. The tall plant is verbena bonariensis, a true butterfly magnet. The daisy is chrysanthemum leucanthemum, I think. It is the only chrysanthemum that I have grown that the deer don't like.

Thumbnail by rox_male
Athens, OH

This is a view of the lower garden from the top.

Thumbnail by rox_male
Athens, OH

The fenced in back garden with decks.
Lots of lilium and hems in bloom.

Thumbnail by rox_male
Athens, OH

Some more flowers in the back garden.
The color combo is not the best...red monarda and pink soapwort. Oops.

That's all for now. Thanks for looking.
Let me know if you see a plant you would like.

ROX

Thumbnail by rox_male
Proctorville, OH(Zone 5b)

well, Rox thank you for the wonderful show. Your gardens are beautiful! But I think you have room for more ;-)
I loved them all, I didn't know baptisia came in different colors.. It is very inviting & must be fun to wander thru..
Thanks again.

Southwest, OH(Zone 6a)

What lovely gardens you have! Your Rhodos are sure tall. Must have some acidic soil!
Next time we have Round Up would love to have Lychnis I think, the fushia tall plant in picture #5. I also live in Deer Country so this weekend I made the deer concoction and sprayed the plants. We have new neighbors that moved next door and the deer ate most of their landscape.

Athens, OH

Southern/Moonlit-
Thanks for the kinds words!

Moonlit-
The lychnis is #5, Gardener's World (double fuschia), hasn't seed yet but it should this Fall. However, I have lots of the lychnis in #3/#4 (single fuschia) if you are interested.
I also have lychnis angel blush (white with pink eye) if you are interested.

Cincinnati (Anderson, OH(Zone 6a)

Rox-- thanks for giving us a tour of your garden projects! Your plant collection and bucolic setting are wonderful--no wonder the deer are attracted to it! You must really enjoy your gardening and doing your deer resistance 'research'. Can't wait to read the study.

I can see I'll have to get the old Suburban out of the garage and trek down the Athens to do some plant trades. I can be the 'courier' for everybody this time!

Btw--do you bring in your elephant ears in winter? I suppose so, but...

Happy gardening today! t.

Athens, OH

T-
Yes. I have to dig them up, divide them, and find homes for the pups every year.
Many I have don't like to go dormant during the winter, so I also have to care for them inside for about 5 months.

My DH thinks I am nuts!

Definitely come down (with a shovel).

ROX

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.