Wine and Whiskey barrel question.

High Desert, NV(Zone 5a)

I just bought some new ones and boy are they strong smelling!

I am wondering if the tannins (is that what it is?) in the barrels effect the plants at all.

Deep East Texas, TX(Zone 8a)

I'm not sure what tannins are. It shouldn't be what the wood is treated with or they would have used 'em for whiskey. On the other had, I'd bet the whiskey wouldn't hurt the plants. It will evaporate over time. Or you could maybe find some sots for plants?

Powder Springs, GA(Zone 7b)

I think you are smelling the whiskey and it shouldn't hurt your plants as well as the tannins which seem to have good benefits. The only problem I've see with the oak barrels is how fast they rot and seem to be a good food for termites. I would line them with some kind of plastic to make them last longer.

High Desert, NV(Zone 5a)

Since we are in the desert rotting is very slow. Just wasn't sure if the whiskey residue would hurt the plants.

Thanks for the answer.

Northern California, United States(Zone 9a)

I have used one for years without any noticble determent. I currently have a clematis and a marmalade bush in it.

Thumbnail by Calif_Sue

How Beautiful, What is a marmalade bush and will it grow here....

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

Marmalade bush is Streptosolen jamesonii http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/62398/index.html
PF doesn't list hardiness but I'm pretty sure it's only good to zone 9. I actually tried to grow it a few times in my old garden (also zone 9b) and it got frosted nicely both times and never came back, but Sue lives in the same zone and looks like she's had better luck with it (I had some really weird microclimates in my old yard...lots of stuff that should have been hardy in my zone would get more damage than I thought it should have). If you can find one reasonably priced I say go for it, just put it in a more protected area of the yard (or keep in a pot)...I look at gardening as a big experiment, if you like something plant it and see what happens!

Thanks for your information. I am afraid it would be doomed in my zone. Which is probably why I had never seen/heard of it. I am a container gardener tho and think I will investigate further. Funny how when our hair is straight we want curls....

Forestville, CA(Zone 9a)

I have been using oak wine barrels for years and currently have 9 in use. The oldest one is going on 5 years and shows no sign of serious decay. I live in the wine country of N. Calif and can get half barrels for as low as $9.00.
George

Cambria, CA(Zone 10a)

Just found a place around here with wine barrel halves for $10. I have had them in the past and they can get funky looking and rotted after a while. Anyone have any special treatment to keep them nicer looking for longer?

They take a looong time to get funky though, mine last at least 10 years it seems before rotting.

Cambria, CA(Zone 10a)

Hi Sue, Have you ever seen anyone do anything creative with them, like painting?

Nope, never have. I bet that would be cool though! I do think some are sealed on the inside but to customize the outside with something weatherproof, there's an idea!
Oh so little time, so many ideas...

Ha, the town of Placerville (CA) just finished their Wine Barrels on Parade!
http://www.placerville-downtown.org/WineBarrel.html

Thornton, IL

I saw a plastic half barrel at HD for $29.99. It had a coated lining, and a removable plug so would be ideal for a container water garden.

Cambria, CA(Zone 10a)

Wow, thanks, that was fun. Though I appreciate all the fancier designing I think I'd want something simple so as not to compete with the plants. I particularly like the twig borders on the bands in this one.

Thumbnail by stellapathic
Cambria, CA(Zone 10a)

The turtle had some simple lines on the top part that look doable too.

Yeah, definately not meant for showing off plants. The one I have, I always plant trailers so it covers the sides up anyways. Right now it's dwindling down, come spring, I have to finally refresh the potting soil. This year I had a purple clematis, the President I think and the orange "Marmalade Bush", http://www.anniesannuals.com/signs/s/streptosolen_jamesoniii_MB.htm
two of my favorite color combos!

Thumbnail by Calif_Sue
Cambria, CA(Zone 10a)

Yes, yes....I saw this one of yours before and made a note of the combo because it's gorgeous. Must have the marmalade bush. You'll see I use that particular combination also. I'll come up with something for the barrels I'm sure. The problem won't be the idea but the time to implement it, as usual. Hey, we might get some rain in the next 24 hours. That would be so good.

This message was edited Oct 1, 2006 4:26 PM

I rememebr that shot too, striking!
Hey, we did get rain here, about an hour of it, a total surprise. And I just just finished watering in the back, leaving my slippers on the porch. Now it's clearing up and mor showers are expected mid week again. Pretty early I'd say.

Cambria, CA(Zone 10a)

I think it's the remnants of the hurricane they had down in Mexico last week. We only had a few sprinkles today, just a tease. My yard is sure ready for some rain though, man has it been dry. And we have a water shortage concern here so I have to be pretty stingy with hand watering. It helps to have things in containers.

Stunning photos girls, I love the color combinations... pod

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.