Can someone help with my gaillardia?

Melbourne Beach, FL(Zone 10a)

Some kind of bug is killing my gaillardia!!!! It looks to be a small yellowish bug on the under side of the leaves. Any help identifying this pest and suggesting what do do about them will be greatly appreciated!

Thumbnail by vcb1

Here's another pic with a close up of a stem....

-- Vicky

Thumbnail by vcb1
mid central, FL(Zone 9a)

i can't see the bugs, but it could be something as simple as aphids and you can just hose them off. you could also make a light dilution of alcohol and water and spray that too. i don't think it's anything too serious. gaillardia are pretty tough plants.

Thanks trackinsand.... I ended up taking a piece up to my nursery folks. They said I have a bad case of mites. I sprayed last night with a fertilome product that's supposed to get them.

-- Vicky

mid central, FL(Zone 9a)

was it spidermites? those too can be controlled with misting the undersides of the leaves with hosewater from time to time. spidermites hate water.

Yes it was and they are in terrible shape -- I don't know how I missed it for so long. These do get quite a bit of water so that didn't seem to eliminate the bugs although I didn't particularly water the undersides of the leaves. The leaves are quite small and the plants low and bushy so it would be hard to focus just on the undersides. Anyway I'm hoping this natural product the nursery recommended works!

-- Vicky

mid central, FL(Zone 9a)

i guess i should go out and check mine! lol i never water my gaillardia, so they kind of get skipped over for mistings too. thanks.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.