Daylily farm

Westbrook, ME(Zone 5a)

What a fun day. Me and a gal pal found a dig-your-own daylily farm. Quite an operation this fella had with a big huge field of named daylilies to stroll through. It's nice to be able to see the flowers your buying. All clumps were $5 except some of the newer hybrids he had. I bought only 5 - which took a lot will power!! Can't wait to go back!

Port Huron, MI(Zone 5b)

Wow, that sure sounds like a great way to spend an afternoon, a day, a weekend, a really nice long visit anyway. You must've really had good will power
Sandy

Toadsuck, TX(Zone 7a)

Yeah Sue and Sandy, how come all that good stuff is up north anyhow? Remember us when they're
ready to divide.

Jerrie =:)

Circleville, OH(Zone 8b)

Hi sue
I lived near a place like that when I moved to Washington state in 1982 except they grew spring bulbs. Thousands of feilds of Tulips and Daffodils. Will power was a must, but the day drive up there was a dream and so beautiful.

I only lived up ther for two years couldn't hack the gloomy, cloudy,rainy days so moved back to New Mexico. In 1991 I moved to Ohio, I hope one day I can go back to both Washington and New Mexico for a visit.
Mike

Brownfield, ME(Zone 4b)

Poppysue,
Where is this farm? I have had great luck with local field grown daylilies. I live near Fryeburg.I also look forward to your postings and pictures since you are so knowledgeable and sometimes I consider gardening in Maine a handicap. Keep up the good work!
lanie

Westbrook, ME(Zone 5a)

Hi laniebug - I'm so glad to see another Mainer! This place is in Gray - called Rock Oak Gardens. It's located on Rt.100 (197 Portland Road) - near Gobiel's Furniture. He said he'd be open until the August 17. The owners name is Donald Celler and he showed me a couple of the hybrids he's introduced. The dig your own field is huge and it would be fun just to visit and walk around even if you didn't have much intention of buying. He said his peak bloom is still a couple of weeks away. He has a small catalog you could write for that has all his daylilies listed - (about 600 hybrids). He ships plants in the spring but a lot of the $12-15 plants in the catalog are in his dig your own field for $5. It'd be worth a visit if you can get there.

The field daylilies were in no order which makes it difficult to find anything particular your looking for. I had a list of several I was looking for and he helped me find them. You'll have to let us know if you decide to go.

Hi Mike! - there's just something about seeing plants actually growing in a garden that's so much better than going to a nursery. They almost look artificial all lined up in they're pots. I think they grow a heck of a lot better than nursery plants too. It's also nice to be able to talk to the gardener that can actually give you some help and answer questions about the plants. Many of the nurseries hire so much temporary help your lucky if they know the name of the plant your after.

This message was edited Monday, Jul 23rd 8:36 PM

Woodsville, NH(Zone 4a)

Poppysue, Thaks for posting the info. We go to Maine quite often and have driven through Gray several times.
Hmmmmmm Hubby starts vacation Aug.8th.Maybe after a nice steak supper I can talk him into strolling through the Daylily field.
Does he have any Asiatics too or is it just Daylillies?

Newberry, FL(Zone 8B)

poppysue we did this earlier this year, munson's daylilly place is about 1/4 mile from where i work. they sold them for $1 a fan, was really kind of hard to decide on them, i think it is 3 acres they have. i went back and a guy from up north had just bought 1000.00 worth (so he said) of the more expensive ones, i think 150.00 was the top price for a fan, maybe they gave the clump for that don't know. anyway my $30.00 pile looked like his $1000 pile, space wise.

FSH, TX

Arlene, I didn't know you grew Hemerocallis. Do you hybridize them as well. I have a bit of fun trying to hybridize these as well as my brugmansia. Must plant a bag of seed here I have had in the fridge here soon.

Westbrook, ME(Zone 5a)

Snowhermit & Laniebug - I neglected to mention this place is closed on Mondays & Tuesdays. He's open the rest of the week from 9:00 A.M. - 5:00 P.M.

Woodsville, NH(Zone 4a)

poppysue,
Hubby has this Friday and Sat.off from work. Maybe we'll take a ride to Gray. Do you know if they are open on Saturdays? Can't wait to see all the Lillies.

Westbrook, ME(Zone 5a)

Yup... As far as I know he's open on Saturdays.

Woodsville, NH(Zone 4a)

We're heading to Gray on Friday for sure. Hmmmmm, do we take the car or the truck. Better take the truck. Lots more room LOL

Poland, ME

What forms of payment does he accept? Credit cards? This could be dangerous!!!

Westbrook, ME(Zone 5a)

Bring some water with you snowhermit. The heat & humidity is supposed to hit us. He has you put them in shopping bags as you dig them. I soaked them in water when I got home and planted them the next day .... they've been blooming since.

Mainiac - I don't know about the credit cards. His telephone number is- 207-657-4655. You could call and ask him.

I wanted to go back but I'm messing with irises now. I probably won't get beck there this year. Hope you guys enjoy it.

Woodsville, NH(Zone 4a)

Thanks poppysue, We have a pickup camper that we will go in and make a day of it. I'll bring a leak proof container to put the bags in and plenty of water.I better start looking for a very large container.LOL

Hey poppysue sounds like a nice weekend trip. The wife and I went to Valenti's gardens in N. Berwick today what a place that was all kinds of daylilies now looking for more places to visit.

Westbrook, ME(Zone 5a)

Hi Trickie - I haven't been to Valenti's. Where about is it? Hubby likes to striper fish in York so maybe I could strike a deal with him. A day of fishing & dayliles ;o)

Burbank, OK(Zone 6b)

eyesoftexas., where is Collinsville? I have huge daylilie patches that need thinning,( only salmon color) also iris's .,tonnage, on the iris part, mainly dark purple. you dig, you can have!

Sorry it too so long to get back. Valenti's is in North Berwick but I think it is closed for the season. They have a catalog though.

Waynesboro, MS(Zone 8a)

I had heard that one of the Valentes had passed away recently.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.