Homesteading?

Las Vegas, NV(Zone 8a)

I'm fairly new to DG....I was just checking out the different forums and came across Homesteading. Could someone please tell me what it is? Can you actually still "Homestead"? Or is it mainly a way of life? Thanks, S~

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8b)

Scroll on down and open the previous discussion labeled "Explain" - there are several ways to define this term and that thread looks at most of them. It is possible to homestead now to a certain degree, but we can be thankful that it doesn't have to be done in the manner of the original practitioners a century or more ago...it was a perilous life indeed. Yuska

Las Vegas, NV(Zone 8a)

Thanks Yuska~
I wasn't quite sure and that discussion answered my questions.
We live in an area where it's fairly easy to live as independently as possible, IF a person chooses to. I'm thinking solar power could pose a problem.....we get a lot of rain. There has to be something though. We live in farm country so we have lots of friends to pool resouces with. It is very important for everyone, no matter where you live to be as self sufficiant as possible. We saw that with Katrina and other disasters. At the very least a 3 day supply of food, water, ect....a 72 hour kit for each family member. Most of us can practice some sort of food storage and even learn one thing that can help us be less dependent on others. It's fun to search and find those things. To learn to save a buck or two, to do with what you want, not give to some big company. I love this forum and the ideas it presents. Thanks to everyone for all the info. S~

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.