Ibicella lutea

Ellicott City, MD(Zone 7a)

I wintersowed this seed which is now in bloom. Such a pretty flower, but little did I know that this plant is 'nasty'. http://www.carnivorousplants.org/seedbank/species/Proboscidea.htm

Thumbnail by Shirley1md

More information on this interesting plant. http://www.sarracenia.com/faq/faq5720.html

Thumbnail by Shirley1md
Missouri City, TX(Zone 9a)

Oh my god, who'd have thought such a pretty flower and such an evil plant. So are you going to continue growing it? You could send a nice boquet to an annoying neighbor, boss or relative- there must be somebody you know who deserves it. LOL.

I'm sitting here laughing over your comment on whom to send this "interesting" plant to! With out any question or hesitation, I would send it to my boss! He is certainly deserving of it!!

Thanks for looking!

Shirley

So much evil in such an attractive package..... I never knew! thanks for sharing it!

Gives me some ideas for Christmas gifts... you know, make a list check it twice figure out who'd naughty and nice...don't tell Lauren. LOL.

LLOOLLL!

No you don't, I thought of it 1st!

I wonder if these are actually classified as a true carnivorous plant. They don’t produce digestive enzymes but then neither does Darlingtonia. Maybe they fall in a similar class with Roridula? I wonder who we could ask about these. I had Proboscidea louisianica here. They don’t need R/O, distilled, or rain water which is a definite plus and they appear to do just fine in a neutral pH environment and their water needs were average. Beautiful flowers and they absolutely glisten in sunlight and the flowers are the palest of lilac frosts and are ever so dainty and I might even add that they are delightfully aromatic if one likes the smell of a gym bag that had sweaty clothes in it that sat in a car for a week. One slight little problem with these beauties. They can snare a chipmunk. I still haven’t figured out exactly how it did it but it did. That was the end of the plant. I don't mind my plants eating bugs but I draw the line at them eating my frogs and chippies.

Copied from the Carnivorous Plant Society (this should answer most of your questions Equilibrium)

"Ibicella lutea, Proboscidea louisianica, and P. parviflora are classed as quasi-carnivorous. The smell probably attracts insects such as the small flies, gnats, and beetles that accumulate on the leaves. The insects do die. But the plant doesn't produce digestive enzymes like "real" carnivorous plants (never mind that Darlingtonia californica and Nepenthes ampullaria don't either). And although the plant does benefit from the rotting insects the number caught may not provide enough extra nutrients to even pay the cost of slime production. The slime could easily be a predator defense although the plants can be ravaged by moth larvae that don't seem to be bothered by the slime and like to hide inside the hollow stems.

So why grow these plants? Because you can. Because you know they can't be that evil (you have been warned!). Because it is a carnivorous plant most people can grow like normal garden plants. This is definitely not a house plant. Ibicella and Proboscidea should be planted in a garden or a very large pot. No special soil is required. Regular tap water is fine. Grow the plants like you would any long growing season plant in your area. Take care of it like you would tomato or zucchini. Fertilize it if you dare. The main requirement is full sun and hot weather. The full sun and very warm location are especially important if live you in a location with a short growing season.

Do not ever let these plants or their seeds get out of your direct control. They can become invasive weeds and kill wildlife. "

I guess I didn't let it get out of my control... I dug mine up, bagged it, and tossed it out in the garbage. No way was I going to compost that. Very beautiful plant but quite disgustingly deadly.

Good reporting Shirley!

"Very beautiful plant but quite disgustingly deadly."

I totally agree!

Ok I am confused a bit- ok more than my usual permanent state; I am picturing my ping w/ a chipmunk (no we don't have them around here) trying like hell to escape the clutches of one of the leaves- it's rather an amusing thought, only because it's not a reality, but tell me, how did this plant kill a chipmunk?

I could see a real use for these guys...think of them around the back of strip malls where there are little cafes and grocery stores - you know these businesses create tons of garbage which attracts bugs and vermin to numerous to name or count. Think of them near lakes where mosquitos keep the good citizens from enjoying fresh air and recreation. Wouldn't they have a real value in some instances?

Don't know if any of you knew my little problem w/ a visiting rat; I couldn't poison him because of my grandchild and SERIOUSLY dumb dog; luckily I was told about the hot pepper solution and that took care of things. It wouldn't have bothered me to have offed the little begger; not a fan of rodents here. I think that someone did poison him because I found him dead in my yard and from the looks of things, not from old age. Seems to me this would have served the same purpose, only more natural like.

Aprilbaby,

Try the RatZapper2000!

It works and there's a thread out there in Garden Foes right now that discusses it.

http://www.ratmousezapper.com/

There's a Classic Rat Zapper on the market as well as a new and improved model. I have the 2000.

I can't quite figure out how the plant killed Doofus but Doofus was dead. I really can't figure it out. The plant isn't poisonous. I used to see insects on it and some did get stuck in the slime but it was a slimey plant so that's to be expected. It wasn't as if it had glands on the leaves such as Pinguicula that actually made short work of the bugs either. I can tell you that when I tried to sprinkle some freeze dried blood worms on the plant that it was evidently a little too "rich" for the plant and it killed off the leaves that I had sprinkled. A Pinguicula would have made short work of freeze dried blood worms.

Well was Doofus stuck to the plant?

Thanks for the link!

Wow that rat zapper is not unlike Florida's Electric Chair, affectionately known as "Old Sparky"- wonder if it ever malfunctions and the poor little rat suffers? do candle light vigles come along w/ the zapper or do I have to pay extra?
LOL I know that's in poor taste, go ahead and report me, get it over with, just couldn't help it as I am against CP. Sorry I know, really Lauren just report me and get it over w/.

I'll offer up a candle light vigil for anything you catch in your RatZapper and you won't need to pay extra. I don't personally have anything against rats. I've had them as pets before and found them to be quite adorable and extremely affectionate and all but the Norway Rats that are populating this continent at an unprecedented rate do need to go bye bye. If it will make you feel better I will go and report you to the Rat Police or something.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.