Moonflowers

Aurora, CO(Zone 5a)

I transplanted my moonflower seedlings into my yard a week or so ago. They seem strong and healthy, but the new leaves have been coming out kind of crinkled and curled. Should I worry? Could it be the heat?

Denver, CO

Inconsistent watering. If not, it's the heat we've been having. Mine do it consistently! It is just about the time of year when Ipomoea alba starts into the grow-like-mad phase.
Mulch them more. What has your high been so far this fine, flaming early summer?
K. James

Aurora, CO(Zone 5a)

Here's a picture of my young moonflowers. I don't know if they'll ever get as big as some of the pictures I've seen.

Thumbnail by White_Hydrangea
Denver, CO

In the heat of the summer, they will rocket up their supports if watered well. Mine have been sitting ducks until last week, so don't worry. SIlly enough, It took me a few tries to figure out what Moonvines like. Full sun, full water, and rich soil. Plus heat.
K.

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

I remember from one of your posts somewhere else that you have sandy soil--it tends to not have very much in the way of nutrients so that could also explain why they're not growing as much if they do like rich soil. I really only know how to deal with clay soil, but I'm assuming the treatment for sandy soil would be similar, add lots of compost!

Denver, CO

True!

Aurora, CO(Zone 5a)

Every time I plant something in this yard, I mix organic garden soil (Miracle-Gro) plus a compost/manure mix in with the yard dirt.

My marauders came back last night and ripped apart a couple of the moonflowers. :-( I sprayed them with hot pepper wax today. They're not dead, just sad looking. I think they'll survive.

I have on order a small raised bed kit, which will be nothing but compost and garden soil. Should be able to grow a good fall crop there if the varmints don't get them.

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8b)

Texas here......... it is scolding hot, enough heat to cause some northerners to have a heat stroke. I have 12 moon vines alba and turbinata, all of which I started from seed, mixed together in 2 beds. 1 bed in part shade ( about 4 hours of direct sun a day) and the other bed is full sun ( about 10 hrs. a day of direct sunlight) bed no. 1 part shade or should I say part sun... :), growinglike mad about 4 feet of growth in the last 2 weeks. bed no.2 slow growth about 1 an 1/2 feet in the same amount of time. Your vines look very healthy. I wouldn't worry about them much, just water and conversation. Oh, sorry I am one who likes to think and talk with the plants, better therapy and cheaper than a Human therapist.

Good luck with the new additions to the family. :)
calvin

Camilla, GA(Zone 8a)

I have 3 blooms on mine tonight, grown from seed this spring....It's really on the go.. I find that mine, in the hot southwest GA full sun , only need water.. I don't even fertilize these, only water.. Too much nutrients makes for a lot of lush vine and not many blooms..

larkie

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.