Hummers

Citra, FL

Look at this little sweetie I took pics of this morning.

Thumbnail by halo
Marlton, NJ

Very nice pic halo.

Wheatfield, NY(Zone 6a)

I'm jealous. Haven't seen any hummers yet this year. Thanks for sharing yours, halo.

Marlton, NJ

Same here grampapa, I had a few scouts in the very early Spring but haven't seen anything since. Maybe because of all the rainstorms?

Corinth, NY(Zone 4b)

Oh that is a great picture! I just love them. I have regular visitors every day. I look forward to the spring when they return.

Republic, PA(Zone 6a)

halo,
Great shots,too! I have put up a couple of feeders for the first time, and have two gorgeous creatures visiting every 15 minutes or so. Wish I could sit and watch them all day long. If someone could confirm which is male and which is female I would be grateful. Here are a few shots.

Thumbnail by Iluvposies
Republic, PA(Zone 6a)

another...

Thumbnail by Iluvposies
Citra, FL

Oh my what great pictures those are. Im not sure, but I would think the first picture is the male. What a great camera you must have!

Republic, PA(Zone 6a)

Thank you! This is my first year with the feeders so it is very exciting! This morning I was hanging the feeder after cleaning and refilling ( I took it down right after a feeding ) and he scared me to death while I was on the chair hanging it back up. Actually hovered there like he was waiting! Amazing little things.
Melinda

Pasadena, CA(Zone 9b)

Wonderful photos! I am experiencing my first hummingbird feeder as well and took some (print) photos which I can't wait to share. I have one bird - a male I think by his ruby coloring around the neck - who sits in the tree by the deck where the feeder hangs all day and chases off any other little bird that comes near. It is his feeder apparently and no one else can have any.

Yesterday, I was out there with him and at one point he flew off so I took the opportunity to refill the feeder. He apparently came back while I was gone because I could hear him just hollerin' at me all the way in the kitchen. (Who stole my feeder??) I think he is the same one who also flew right through the open window into my living room the other evening. Found his way out the deck door finally but it was a tense couple of minutes.

I never knew hummers were so territorial and assertive! Little Napoleon complex I think.

Wheatfield, NY(Zone 6a)

from what I've read they are very territorial. I have three feeders up now and have regular visitors. haven't gotten very good pics (Iloveposies, yours are fabulous!), but I'm just glad to see them. if I take the feeders down to clean/refill, they hang around and keep looking. I like the window feeder because we get to see them up close.

gram

Thumbnail by grampapa
Republic, PA(Zone 6a)

grampapa,
I love that window feeder, I must get one! I also want a feeder with perch. today after refilling, my feeder was overcome with bees! The birds were willing to share at first but the bees won out till late evening and now they are gone. Any suggestions oh wise gardeners?

Thumbnail by Iluvposies
Republic, PA(Zone 6a)

okay this is doable...

Thumbnail by Iluvposies
Republic, PA(Zone 6a)

toooo much!!! Help!

Thumbnail by Iluvposies
Beaumont, TX(Zone 8b)

Great photos!

In the "This is doable" photo. I could almost see him looking over his glasses at that lone bee and saying sternly, "OK, I'll share with you this ONE time." He had THAT "over the glasses" look in his eye.

Waukesha, WI(Zone 5a)

I'm jealous. I have yet to see one hummer this year. I've plenty of feeders and fuschias and other things that attract hummers, just no the hummers. Beautiful pics. Your'e lucky.

Salt Lake City, UT(Zone 6a)

I heard you can have the bee problem if you mix your solution too thick because your bee guards are working just thought I'ld mention....or maybe you had solution spill on the outside?

This message was edited Jul 28, 2006 3:38 PM

Wheatfield, NY(Zone 6a)

I tend to agree with MQN, that it maybe got spilled on the outside. just because they're not hanging around the port. either that or a leak. try making sure that the outside doesn't get any drips. if it's leaking, you'll have to get a new one.

gram

Republic, PA(Zone 6a)

MQN and Grandpapa
I was careful to rinse the outside and dry it but maybe there is something to the idea of it being sweeter. I admit this time I eyeballed the ingredients rather than measure out the 1:4. I''ll move in that direction first. Thanks for the input!

Pasadena, CA(Zone 9b)

Quick question for you veteran bird feeders.....I wanted to put up a regular bird feeder also....is it a problem if it is hung not far from a hummingbird feeder? Any trouble for the little guys being too near the big guys?

Wheatfield, NY(Zone 6a)

I have a hummer feeder and a thistle feeder on the same quad pole. hasn't been a problem

Pasadena, CA(Zone 9b)

Thanks Gram!

Pasadena, CA(Zone 9b)

I finally got some print shots back of my favorite little hummingbird....I call him Napoleon. He staked a claim to the feeder I have hanging off my back deck and spends his days guarding it and chasing off any other interested parties........he has kept me very well entertained during my broken leg recuperation.....

Anyone know what kind of hummer Napoleon is?

Thumbnail by NY2CA
Pasadena, CA(Zone 9b)

Napoleon and the object of his affection......

** note the other feeder behind him.....none of birds ever paid much attention to it.....not worth the money it cost me....pretty though!

(ps. since Napoleon wouldn't share, I put another feeder out front of the house for the other birds and it seems there is another sentry taking up post.....I haven't been able to get close to him as I do Napoleon, but he makes a racket when I walk by the feeder!)

Thumbnail by NY2CA
Peterstown, WV(Zone 6a)

NY2CA, Could Napolean be an Anna's?

Thumbnail by music2keep
Pasadena, CA(Zone 9b)

By George, I think you've got it! The coloring looks exactly right!

Thanks M2K!

Peterstown, WV(Zone 6a)

Sure thing!

Valencia, PA(Zone 5b)

In the ruby throated, the males have the ruby throat and the females do not. The Anna's male has the red head while the Anna's female does not, but does have a little red area under her chin. I have read that hummers really don't like being too near other birds--maybe it's their protective thing. An article in our paper says that we should see more hummingbirds toward the end of August when the babies leave the nest. Let's hope so. I have two male ruby throats--one feeder for each. Sheesh. Just love them. Karen (liebran) OH-I use the Hummzinger feeder that has bee gards inside and an ant moat built in--works well. The bees try to get into the nectar and get stopped by the little rubber things--that the hummers beaks go through with no problem. Also, I got some to come to the feeders by buying some red plants and putting them on the ground under the feeder. Other people advised buying some red surveyers tape and tie it to the feeder. K.

Pasadena, CA(Zone 9b)

Thanks Karen! I have noticed the whole head is red and the wings can glint yellow/green...from the Anna picture that looks about right.

I have a new "Napoleon" now who has taken up residence guarding the front feeder and he seems to eat a lot. Even though there is no perch like the one in the back the liquid level goes down much faster and I watched him yesterday drink from it for a really long time, stoping at all four "flowers".

They are so fun to watch - have kept me very entertained.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.