What is it??

South China, ME(Zone 5a)

I lost the tag to this and can not for the life of me remember what it is. I have had it for 3-4 years now and love the color and how full it gets. Any idea's?

Thumbnail by pixie62560
South China, ME(Zone 5a)

Here's another photo. "Stella" is in the background, give's you an idea of how tall it gets.

Thumbnail by pixie62560
Southern, CT(Zone 6a)

Pixie, I think its a campanula (bellflower) Not sure which one.
Here's a link Glomerata Sup.? (Clustered bellflower)

South China, ME(Zone 5a)

Thanks Dave, I believe your right!!

Southern, CT(Zone 6a)

Pleased to be occassionally correct!

Beachwood, OH

Yup its Campanula glomerulata or Clustered Bellflower. I just took pics of mine yesterday too. I'm trying to fill in a 25 ft row of them over the dead daffs underneath. - and have them with Stella's also!

Heres a terrible picture. But the way it goes is, there is a 25 ft row of Stellas along the driveway. Behind them is a raised 18" wall that has Geranium sanguineum striatum - the pale pink planted along the edge. In the early spring there are about 1000 - by now years later - Daffodil Erichleer -a double white fragrant daff behind the geraniums. Behind the daffs is a row of Gold Mound Spirea and behind THAT is a row of lilacs. The problem is the dying daff foliage always pushes the geranium s toward the front and when it finally dies it leaves a brown mat of dead leaves between the geraniums and the spirea which is quite noticeable. I push them around but finally decided that this Campanula might fill in along that area and give one more burst of color before the whole thing finishes. Its a spring to mid summer garden and then its completely done.

Thumbnail by alyrics
South China, ME(Zone 5a)

alyrics,
Very nice! I think it looks great w/Stella!

Brownfield, ME(Zone 4b)

Pixie,
Thanks for posting and asking about the plant .I was at a friend's house just today and asked what this plant was {of course didn't have my camera}. I came home to do a search and viola .... Love looking at your pics
another maniac
lanie

Endicott, NY

Pixie: If I'm not mistaken, it's the same one I have. Called "Joan Elliot". The color is wonderful, isn't it! And if you keep them deadheaded, they'll throw off some more floweres pretty much all season.

Endicott, NY

Alyrics: I think you'll be real happy with the results of filling in with this campanula. It's a fairly quick spreader, I'm always dividing mine and extending them, and they respond well. If you do keep them deadheaded and fertilize occasionally, they will give you more color even through summer. At least that's my experience. It's a great color. I haven't come across anything they don't look good with.

South China, ME(Zone 5a)

laniebug,
Always glad to help out a fellow Mainiac! LOL

maddio,
Thank for the info, and yes it is a wonderful color and such a nice hardy plant!

Beachwood, OH

Maybe this thread is finished but now I'm thinking that to really get this bellflower going I might need to freshen the soil over the daffs. Do you think it would bother them a lot to get a top dressing of about an inch of good soil and then mulch? They are so thick now that they need a good dose of Bulbtone every year to bloom. I am not too excited about having to dig up that whole row of daffs to thin them. With the geranium in there, its hard to work in the bed and I've got so much to do yet this summer.....

What do you think, could I get away with topping up to plant the bellflower?

Southern, CT(Zone 6a)

Alyrics, I think they would be fine. They will find their way up from an inch deeper.
Dave

Beachwood, OH

Thanks for supporting me in figuring out a way to go around what really needs to be done!!
I think it will work too. I bet Campanula likes Bulbtone anyway - right?

Southern, CT(Zone 6a)

Don't know, never asked one. I think a regular perennial fertilizer would be better. You are very welcome!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.