She not named, but I think she's beautiful!

Kennebunk, ME(Zone 5a)

I have 1 Japanese Iris and today I got my first bloom from her. I don't know her name but her face is one I'll remember!

Thumbnail by kimskreations
Willamette Valley, OR(Zone 8a)

That's neat! Four falls and 4 standards!

Vancouver, WA(Zone 7a)

I agree, she's beautiful!!!

Kennebunk, ME(Zone 5a)

I know ABSOLUTELY nothing about Iris other than I try to grow Bearded Iris the best that I can and that I think they are VERY pretty *lol*. Is 4 standards and 4 falls different somehow? Here is a VERY funny question but I lifted up the pilstals.....the "lip things" and under each lip were tiny bees. Under each one. My question....do these bees "live" in this plant. The only other time I have ever seen these little bees were on my poppies last year which they were VERY busy pollinating. Where do they come from and why do they only cling to 1 certain plant? I found it very strange that there was a bee under each and every one of the lip things.

Can you tell that I'm not a professional Iris lady? *lol*

Kim

Vancouver, WA(Zone 7a)

I don't know how to answer your bee question. I know that I get tiny ants on my Spurias that seem to live in the buds. Spurias produce a sticky sweet substance that they love. I don't know about JIs, though.

As far as 4 standards and falls being unusual in a JI, it is. Usually they come in 3's (i.e. 3, 6, 9). Sometimes the weather can produce mutants or sometimes the first year bloom can be a bit strange.

Kennebunk, ME(Zone 5a)

Just a quick update on this funny little girl.

So far there have been 4 flowers. 3 of them have had 4 standards and 4 falls and 1 of them have had 3 standards and 3 falls. Still many more buds to open so I'm anxious to see the ratio at the end of it all *lol*.

Kim

Kennebunk, ME(Zone 5a)

OK....2 new flowers on this cutie and ANOTHER surprise! BOTH had 5 falls and 5 standards!

So 7 flowers so far......2 with 5 petals, 4 with 4 petals and 1 with 3 petals.

Here is a picture of one of the new flowers with 5 petals and behind it the flower with 3 petals.

Every new flower is a surprise!

Kim

Kennebunk, ME(Zone 5a)

Well, I guess another new flower opened today while we were at the beach. Another 5 petal. Here is a picture of 2 of the 3 flowers so far with 5 petals.

Emmaus, PA(Zone 6a)

Very beautiful!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.