We're in a stall here...

Carmel, NY(Zone 6b)

I first noticed the bud in early/mid-June. Here's a photo of same on the 6/27.

Thumbnail by Sequee
Carmel, NY(Zone 6b)

And here's a shot from this morning. Is this normal, or did it suffer damage from the week-long torrential rains we had? It doesn't look too good to me, but it's my first ever, so I don't really know what to expect.

Thumbnail by Sequee
Carmel, NY(Zone 6b)

And here's the other bud. It's a bit protected by the Wishing Well roof, so it doesn't look as yellow, nor has it progressed as much. It's a funny thing. I thought the plant wanted full sun, but even though there is netting along the outside of the posts, the plant seems to prefer the interior - it's wrapping itself around the interior beams of the WW! Very cool plant - I am so happy that I over-wintered it!

Any tips on successful flowering would be greatly appreciated!

Thumbnail by Sequee
Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9a)

I'm not sure what you're expecting. Is that P. alata-caerulea? If it is then you missed the bloom and it's unlikely to set fruit as they are sterile. Your pics look to be of already bloomed flowers. The flowers probably didn't last very long and you just missed seeing them. They like lots and lots of sun.

Carmel, NY(Zone 6b)

I'm sure I didn't miss them. I'm out there 3x a day with the camera - I'm the laughing stock of the 'hood! I'm the only one who walks their dogs in torrential rain with a cmaera around her neck - sheesh!

They went from pod to this...or they only bloomed overnight or for 5 hours! Is that possible? That would be so sad...

Denver, CO

Sometimes they don't completely open if the day is very dark, but are spent anyway.

Carmel, NY(Zone 6b)

Dang! So not fair, but ya'll have nailed it. I went out to take a closer look, and this is what I found! Certainly leaves no question!!!

Thumbnail by Sequee
Carmel, NY(Zone 6b)

Here's one more "bud" I found INSIDE the WW roof. Is this another spent flower??? (I could scream!)

Thumbnail by Sequee
Visalia, CA(Zone 7a)

Mine just bloomed last evening!I was out morning and early afternoon, no bloom! Around 7:30 PM, I saw it opened(first bloom on this one!). I quickly snapped a few pics. Good thing I did - this morning, it is spent. This variety is called Sapphire which I hadn't heard of before, but I love it!

Thumbnail by Tanya3
Carmel, NY(Zone 6b)

Dang, she's a beauty! I cannot believe I've waited for this for 2 years and missed the whole show!!!

Lee's Summit, MO(Zone 6a)

I don't believe that bud has bloomed yet. I would say to keep watching.

Carmel, NY(Zone 6b)

I think the 5 days of heavy rain and dismal skies did me in ~:-(

We are due for a nce 4-5 nice days, though, so I shall pull up a chair and sit by the WW until I see a bloosom!!! (Do you think the doggie's and kitty's will fend for themselves until I'm back???)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.