Aitkens Co-op list

Vancouver, WA(Zone 7a)

Hi All~

I haven't officially started the Aitkens co-op yet, but if you'd like a preview of the Sibs and JIs that will be available you can view the thread here:

http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/621204/

There will be more details in the days that follow PLUS there may possibly be a small list of LAs available as well.

Have fun making your wish lists! :0)

Laura

Vancouver, WA(Zone 7a)

A few Louisianas have been added to the list. Be sure to check the link out. This will probably be officially started in the next day or two.

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

I promise to check it out! How delightful. Thank you.

Vancouver, WA(Zone 7a)

Hi everyone~

This co-op will officially begin tomorrow...Monday, July 3rd and continue through midnight on Monday, July 10th. You may post your orders as early as 12:01 a.m. on the 3rd.

The co-op includes 20 selections each of Siberian and Japanese Irises as well as a few Louisianas. Everything is priced at $4.00 each.

Please use the link above to check out the co-op thread and get more details! :0)

Laura

Thanks, Laura!

Pickens, SC(Zone 7a)

Laura...you are an evil...evil woman... LOL

Western, WI(Zone 4a)

Laura, do I send the check to you or directly to Aitkens?

Vancouver, WA(Zone 7a)

You can send your check or money order directly to me, but please make it payable to Aitken's Salmon Creek Garden. I am in the DG address exchange.

Shelburne Falls, MA(Zone 5a)

Not sure I can come up with 6. Would love to try LAs here. I've failed in the past. What do you know about what they like? Zones?

Vancouver, WA(Zone 7a)

I don't know a lot about LAs since I've never grown them myself. I'll email Barbara Aitken and see what she has to say about it.

Western, WI(Zone 4a)

Following is my list of Jap. iris that I wish to order.
1-Azure Ruffles
2-Center of Attention
3-Dirigo Cloud Nine
4-Flashing Koi
5-Hegira
6-Oriental Classic
7-Oriental Eyes
8-Peacock Dance.

Will get the check in the mail to you after the 4th. Amount $32.00 for iris plus $9.50 for S & H.
Please inform me if my math is incorrect.

Maxine

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 2b)

Boojum, Any Chowning LAs should do OK in Mass. Also,
Black Gamecock
Dorothea K. Williamson

I grew those outside (didn't bring in in winter) in Ont. zone 4b..

So, see what the parentage is of the LAs. Have no idea what the Rochester NY zone is. They have a huge LA garden there.
Inanda

Edited to say, I meant to say look up the hybridizer, not parantage.

This message was edited Jul 3, 2006 7:12 AM

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Boojum,

I contacted Greg at Iris City Gardens, and he said all the LA's should do well in Z5.

He said the key is full sun, lots of water, and mulch heavily.

Rochester is Z6B. I noticed a lot of theirs were Pryor ones.

I'm going to try a few myself this year.

Polly

Does anyone know if the JI's need the cold of our northeast winters or do they do well in Texas, Florida, etc.? Thanks.

Vancouver, WA(Zone 7a)

JIs and SIBs do much better where there are colder winters. They need a miniumum of a 30 day rest at 30 degrees F and under.

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 2b)

Boojum,

Can't say enough about ICG. We had a truly wonderful NLIS order here a couple of years ago. Unfortunately it was so time consuming to pack in a way that Cdn. Customs/Ag would let them in that - sob sob - no more shipping to Canada.

It took 2 whole weeks for Canada Customs to let them in and only lost 2 tiny ones when we unpacked them.

If you talk to him again, say hi from NLIS in Manitoba.

inanda

Thank you flowerfrenzy!!!!!

Vancouver, WA(Zone 7a)

Hey boojum~

Looks like you've got the answers you needed, but I wanted to let you know what Barbara Aitken said.

She said that although LAs prefer the humid, warm, southern climates they can do okay in MA. It would be kind of a trial and error thing, though.

Vancouver, WA(Zone 7a)

Hi everyone~

Just letting you guys know that tomorrow is the last day for you if you'd like to get in on this one!

Laura

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.