What do you do with your excess veggies?

Marshall, MO(Zone 5b)

When we came back from vacation we were overwelmed with green beens. After picking all of them and going through the usual dance to get a few to all the family members I took beans, beets and onins up to the senior center. It was the best response I've got for years. There was only 3 walmart bags of beans and 1 of onions but I had over a bushel of beets. When I announced what I had about half the people in the room had to "come see". I didn't really expect them to take all the beets but they never even batted an eye.
This alone justifies my excessive garden.
Huffy1

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

That is great!! Never thought about the senoir center.

Marshall, MO(Zone 5b)

They can always use the produce and the seniors really apriciate the home grown stuff. I've also taken veggies to the abused women shelter and was well received .

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

I am going to pass those ideas on to my coworkers. Some of them get too many veggies and don't know what to do with them.

Saint Louis, MO(Zone 5b)

I'm all for it! You might be interested in this. My dad, bless him, took a weekly 2 hour trip to the city with his pickup. Fresh veggies and cut flowers were brought to the parking lot by neighbors and church members on Saturday mornings summer through fall. Dad delivered them to a special resturant which serves delicious food to anyone who comes in (not your standard soup kitchen). I went with him several times, and a joyful time was had by all! He can't do it anymore, but a younger man bought his pick-up and continues the deliveries for him.

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

That's a wonderful idea!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.