Thumbnail by Sequee
Carmel, NY(Zone 6b)

National Pickling Cuke

Thumbnail by Sequee
Carmel, NY(Zone 6b)

Ronde de Nice Zuke

Thumbnail by Sequee
Carmel, NY(Zone 6b)

Corn...I just planted this on a fluke. I have very little growing room for it, but someone sent me seeds, so I thought what the hay! Alas, I had no idea what it looked like as a sprout, so I couldn't weed for fear of ripping out the good stuff. Now the bed is so over grown its an impossible task. I will just call this a learning experience!

I have no idea what to expect. What happens from here???

Thumbnail by Sequee
Ijamsville, MD(Zone 6b)

Well if they turn out like my corn experiment a couple of years ago you may get: Mexican Truffle

"Huitlacoche (also spelled cuitlacoche) is a fungus which grows naturally on ears of corn (Ustilago maydis). The fungus is harvested and treated as a delicacy. The earthy and somewhat smoky fungus is used to flavor quesadillas, tamales, soups and other specialty dishes."

Having never eaten it I didn't do anything with my bounty. In retrospect I should have at least tasted it! I mean I eat escargot for goodness sake.

Carmel, NY(Zone 6b)

Oh, good grief! Now don't you think they could TRY to make it sound more appealing! The Mexican Truffle sounds yum - but must they call it a fungus. Sorta brings to mind Athlete's Foot - icky-poo!

Carmel, NY(Zone 6b)

Lebanese White Bush Barrow Squash

Thumbnail by Sequee
Carmel, NY(Zone 6b)

Okra

Thumbnail by Sequee
Carmel, NY(Zone 6b)

Pulled up the last of the Tatsoi this morning! Yum - I know what I'M having for dinner tonight, especially since I picked a bunch of English watercress!!

This message was edited Jul 1, 2006 11:21 AM

Thumbnail by Sequee
Carmel, NY(Zone 6b)

8 Ball Zuke

Does anyone know the difference between the Ronde de Nice and the 8 Ball?

Thumbnail by Sequee
Ijamsville, MD(Zone 6b)

I always thought they were the same but I see 8 ball is a hybrid zuke and a darker green color. Ronde de Nice is an Italian heirloom. I still think someone just renamed the Ronde de Nice to Americanize it! LOL Maybe FDill knows?

-Kim

Carmel, NY(Zone 6b)

I'm glad I planted them both - I will try to get some side-by-side pix.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.