Woody Zucchini Stems

Harrisburg, IL(Zone 6a)

I'm relatively new to vegetable gardening and worried about my zucchini seedlings that I purchased pretty late (middle of June). Despite the lady at the nursery telling us that it is way too late to start a garden, I bought her zucchinis anyway and planted them on small hills (I read that somewhere). It was pretty hot here for a while and they almost died that one day, but it rained shortly after. The seedlings where nice and firm when I bought them, maybe a bit on the pale side, but now the stems look dried and woody yet the plants on the end made lot's of blooms (male, I think). I'm surprised they are getting any water at all... Do I need to worry about these woddy stems? Is that normal for zuccs or is it sun burn? Was I supposed to mulch them? And also: what are the hills good for?

Thanks for any wisdom shared!

Thumbnail by Green_Guido
Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

Your plants are severely stunted. They may or may not set a few small zukes. The plants could have been overage when you got them. You still have time to buy a pkt of zuchinni seeds and direct seed them. Hills ( mounds, lists) serve three purposes. 1. The soil warms up faster. 2. It provides drainage during rainy weather. 3. Keeps the soil from compacting around the plant. They are not necessary if you have good well drained soil.

Harrisburg, IL(Zone 6a)

Thanks Farmerdill.

Yeah, they really got beaten up by the sun right after transplanting. The seedlings had false leaves only and they have been growing the real leaves and the buds after I thought they were dead two days after transplanting. I will plant some zucchini seeds next to these and see what happens. Worst case scenario: squash flower soup... 8-)

Springfield, OH(Zone 5b)

I agree with Dill :) Squash grows so fast that I never buy plants. it's a good one even if you are a bit late

Spencer, TN

uh-huh, put in seeds now and get fruit starting about middle August. we can get in 2 crops summer squash easy in a summer.

Harrisburg, IL(Zone 6a)

Put seeds into the ground this morning. Some kinda Burpee hybrid. The race is on.

Springfield, OH(Zone 5b)

Go GO GO!!!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.