Infected Cannas from Brent & Becky's Bulbs

Everson, WA(Zone 8a)

I ordered Stutgart and Pink Sunburst from Brent & Becky's this year. I received them in early April and potted them up indoors but they never grew. I called B & B today to see about getting replacements and was told that a lot of customers had problems with them not growing. B & B just found out that there is a canna virus and apparently these cannas are infected. The service rep told me that Becky said that if they had known about the virus they never would have offered these cannas. Since I had mine potted up separately I am hoping no virus has been transmitted to my cannas from last year (I started last year's rhizomes much later in different containers). I do want to give a heads up to anybody who may have ordered these from B & B. I don't know if the situation applies to any of the other cannas they sold or just these 2 varieties.

I intend to throw away the soil from the pots with infected rhizomes. Is there anyway to sterilize the pots or should I throw them away too?

Lakeland, FL(Zone 9b)

Dont buy any rhyzomes from wall marts they have a virus to paul

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

Now you mention that paul!! I have planted 18 that I bought from there and 3 are growing. I would have bought them somewhere else. Oh well, will see what happens.

Lakeland, FL(Zone 9b)

soory Pepper id be carefull buying from k mart home depot and lowes i think they get there cannas from the same canna farm i am trying to find out who they buy from paul

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

When you find out let us all know.

Mesa, AZ(Zone 9b)

I got c. musafolia from B&B and they aren't infected.

Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL(Zone 9b)

Unfortunately...a good many cannas now from a good many growers and nurseries are all infected with the virus. Many have just decided to go ahead and grow their plants anyway, and not destroy them. For the most part, they will continue to grow and bloom. They just may have some unsightly marks on their leaves from time to time. Most of the time, it will not kill the plant.
You CAN get rid of the ones you have, and attempt to steralize what you have used...but chances are, you will order more, that also have the virus. It's coming down to the point of how "much" virus are you willing to deal with, instead of "if" you deal with it. There's an awful lot of it out there now.

Phenix City, AL(Zone 8a)

so there is no "cure" for the virus? is destroying the plants or living with unsightly marks the only choice here?

Everson, WA(Zone 8a)

I am trying to decide if I should just stick with the cannas I already have since they appear to be clean. I really don't want to mess with the virus and ultimately infect all of my stock (not that I have that much - just a few from a DG co-op plus Tropicanna). On the other hand I really wanted Stutgart and Pink Sunburst. Since it is getting too late to start cannas in my zone I guess I can put off making a decision until next year. LOL

SE Houston (Hobby), TX(Zone 9a)

I purchased and planted 10 Stuttgarts, and they are all doing poorly. Maybe next year...

Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL(Zone 9b)

Gymgirl....My first year with my Stuttgarts I wondered why I ever bought them....but when they came up this year, they came up really attractive looking, so hang in there! :)
I'm trying to find an old post about canna virus on one of the other threads to cross-link over to here...it was very informative....

Coal Center, PA(Zone 6a)

#1 .. I don't believe B&B just found out about canna virus ...LOL

#2 .. I don't believe virus is why those cannas didn't grow.
More like time in storage, rot, and/or poor storage.

Virus has been responsible for SOME canna problems, but not for all problems.

This message was edited Jul 5, 2006 2:25 AM

Lakeland, FL(Zone 9b)

so what did they do about your cannas ? paul

Everson, WA(Zone 8a)

They are crediting my card.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.